Upvote 0

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the door to an old coal chute from a house. My great aunt's house still has one.
There were many different styles. Some had raised lettering on them or artwork. Some opened horizontally and others vertically. This example is a photo I pulled from a photo search.

image-3583509672.jpg

Last edited:

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deathontwolegs,Just a guess mind ya but I'll say - iron door? From the presence of the ring and the location of the tang/ tongue just left of the ring- it probably is a fire box door, hung from the right side. If you clean it up you may find a mfg. mark or date which may be helpful in determining origin. It might have been a lid to a strong-box if that tang is actually the remainder of an old hasp.

HH yelnif

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought it was a door to the milk chute, but it looks to heavy and a stove door would have a dampener wouldn't it?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a boiler door. It has a slide flue for draft control.

OP
OP
D

Deathontwolegs

Jul 13, 2013
DC
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deathontwolegs,Just a guess mind ya but I'll say - iron door? From the presence of the ring and the location of the tang/ tongue just left of the ring- it probably is a fire box door, hung from the right side. If you clean it up you may find a mfg. mark or date which may be helpful in determining origin. It might have been a lid to a strong-box if that tang is actually the remainder of an old hasp.

HH yelnif

Yes, it is iron and now that you mention it, how would a complete newbie begin to clean this up without destroying it? I almost started to scrape with my trusty knife but figured I best ask my heroes first.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big iron like that......I like Evaporust and/or a bead blaster. Be prepared to coat it with something or it will start to rust again.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best Idea right there.

Big iron like that......I like Evaporust and/or a bead blaster. Be prepared to coat it with something or it will start to rust again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions