Any Idea????

JEB the Pirate

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I set this account up for my 7 year old son who LOVES to metal detect!.

He has found civil war bullets and coins and recently dug up the following:

It has many rectangular pyramid shaped studs that are attached to leather.

He has found numerous of the metal studs by themselves but this is the first time that he found the studs attached to the leather.

The area in which he is searching is in the middle of a civil war skirmish in LA and is also an old sugar mill/plantation location.

Any ideas as to what this would be is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Attachments

• IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    733.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    861.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 91

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info would be great please... such as item composition... size etc.

Take a photo with something in the picture such as a coin or soda can for a size reference.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JEB the Pirate

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Guys, new to the site.

The item is comprised of 7 rectangular, pyramid shaped studs that are connected to leather via two rivets that you can see on the back.

Each stud is 1/2" long by 1/4" wide. The entire piece is approximately 4" wide and 1 1/2" tall.

Not sure what type of metal the studs are... Thanks again for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    857.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

As far as your item goes... I personally have no clue as to what you have found.

Perhaps some sort of tread ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JEB the Pirate

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A timing belt. This is exactly what we were thinking given that this was near a site of a sugar mill.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Part of a dog collar? Would the studs (gear teeth) be sturdy enough to be used as a timing belt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JEB the Pirate

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for everyone's input. The only reason I thought it might be industrial instead of cosmetic is that they went to a lot of trouble casting the studs very precisely. If it was ornamental, it had to be very high end. Again thanks for looking and I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a guess, but maybe it is some type of leather conveyor belt and the lugs would mesh with the gear that drove it.

HH, RN

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is just a guess, but maybe it is some type of leather conveyor belt and the lugs would mesh with the gear that drove it.

HH, RN

Yea that more likely as leather was used to run machinery. A timing belt is a part of an internal combustion engine that synchronizes the rotation of the crankshaft and the camshaft(s) so that the engine's valves open and close at the proper times during each cylinder's intake and exhaust strokes. So I would so no to a leather timing belt but yes to a belt to run machinery or conveyor belt or maybe even some type of tread.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Leather belts were used to run machinery but that would have to something huge to need brass studs in it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks very much for everyone's input. The only reason I thought it might be industrial instead of cosmetic is that they went to a lot of trouble casting the studs very precisely. If it was ornamental, it had to be very high end. Again thanks for looking and I greatly appreciate your thoughts.
It looks similar to a track tread but I never heard of one made of leather and the brass cleats would wear quickly. My guess is an old drive belt for something very large. Or a very early conveyor belt for farm machinery maybe.

Do you notice any wear pattern on the brass?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JEB the Pirate

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your recent ideas. I think you guys are definitely on to something. I don't see any wear pattern on the metal. I say "metal" because I am not convinced that it is brass. First of all, it is not the color of brass and in addition, it appears to much harder. So, not sure what the studs are made of.

This particular area was an old sugar mill site. So, I would not be surprised if it was utilized in connection with heavy machinery.

Again, thanks for all of your input and the video was quite interesting to my son. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread