bad.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 368
OP
OP
miester

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Well it's the size of a penny but has the thiness of a dime so it might just be a very eaten away penny????

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Hi !!

Looks like the edge of a coin isn't that bad....

If I were you, I'd put it in olive oil for some (loooooong) time.
But you have to be patient, it may take a few months to see if there is something underneath the dirt.

That's most safe way of cleaning it, without destroying.

Pozdrawiam Matejko

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is NOT to say I absolutely Know what it is,

However, That is what alot of the ZINC CENTS look like (All Bubbly) after being

in the Ground for a year or 2 around here.

The ONLY other Coins I found looking like that (IF It's Rust Colored) is 1943 Wheat Cents.

Try a Magnet, IF you have one.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jeff of pa said:
This is NOT to say I absolutely Know what it is,

However, That is what alot of the ZINC CENTS look like (All Bubbly) after being

in the Ground for a year or 2 around here.

The ONLY other Coins I found looking like that (IF It's Rust Colored) is 1943 Wheat Cents.

Try a Magnet, IF you have one.

Gotta agree with Jeff on this one, that may be a coin for the trashpit right there. Looks like a zinc that's been through a fire then buried.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it does look kind of like zinc doesnt it? how deep was it miester?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You know, I'm kind of rethinking my earlier statement on this one. I can't see any of the delaminating you normally see on the rims of zincs. ??? Maybe a foreign coin? Try some electrolysis on it, maybe.

OP
OP
miester

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
It was'nt more than 3 in., I found it on the shore of a remote lake seldom visited. I have since discovered that there were, many yrs. ago a few cabins around that the state tore down when they bought the land. And a logging and tourist train was located on this spot until the 1920's. In the same 10 by 10 ft. area I picked up quite a few pennies but the thiness of this object has me puzzled, and yet it the same width as a penny,maybe the damn thing got struck by lightning or some thing?? I've had it in olive oil for about 4 weeks and theres no sign of flaking or debris yet. If it's any thing interesting will post it. Also within a within 3 mi. of this spot was a home, post office,railstop,dance hall and boat pier where they picked up fisherman. I'm hot to trot for this spot but I'll have to wait until a very nasty day ( 30's with rain and lots of wind) as it's the only boat landing on this lake and I dont want to have anyone nosing around when I'm scanning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread