any ideas on sifters to float on top of water.

paul9272

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2007
MASS
Detector(s) used
EXCALIBUR, CTX 3030, WHITES XLT
HI I was wondering if any one had some suggestions for top water sifters to dump the contents from the scoop in. Some of the beaches I hunt are mostly clay and I was wondering if any one had some good ideas how to make a top water sifter to eliminate trying to sift the clay in a scoop. The scoop gets real heavy and if I gould dump it into a sifters it would save some time and pain. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up using a sifter years ago when I started using The Scoop, by Sunspot Products. Using a sifter means you have something else to carry to the water and back. It's a kids magnet too. OK in freshwater, but it's always yanking you around in the surf.

If you want to build one, the easiest is a Garrett gold classifier pan and a motorcycle or trailer inertube around the outside. The others with pcv pipe are a little harder and more costly. Someone will include a pic of one here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried one on Daytona, it was too much hassel with the surf. On a fresh water lake it would be okay, or on the west side of Fla where there is no surf.

OP
OP
P

paul9272

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2007
MASS
Detector(s) used
EXCALIBUR, CTX 3030, WHITES XLT
thanks guys. It will be strictly for fresh water. I think it would save some time if I had a sifter instead of shaking out the scoop all the time. I have a great scoop and have no problem using it but it does not take long to get sore arms after a couple hours of digging in the clay. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Sifter I made when I first started water detecting. It works pretty good, I tie it to my wife's floaty and she floats along with me.

Attachments

• strain1.jpg
    strain1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 646
  • strain1.jpg
    strain1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 273

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I agree with sandman on this one

fresh water = ok
surf = big PIA (Pain In A@@)

you can make them out of just about anything. The one's i've used (and made) always had the "sifting bed" just a few inches below the water. This helps the sand etc to wash away after you dump the scoop.

I made one out of 2" PVC... made a square, and then filled the pipe with inflatable insulation... works pretty well to prevent sinking if you don't get all the joints sealed well. Zip tied a water noodle around the pvc, and then zip tied a 1/4 mesh to the pvc pipes. I ended up bending the mesh to form a 4" deep "basket". Make sure you zip tie all the seams on the basket, and make the edges tight so nothing can slip through.

Also... use the search feature here and check out some of the posts on sifters... there have been quite a few pics on the posts that might give you some ideas
steve

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I hunt a lake or Gulf of Mexico, my sifting box is right there. Atlantic is too rough for it. But on the Gulf, its real handy when you get that target and dig down and you have a scoop full of broken shell debris. I don't care what kind of scoop you have, it won't sift those odd shaped shells like a sifter will. Sure kids come over and look and they can help themselves to the shells in the basket. Any good finds are already in my pouch and the change usually remains. Most kids are curious and pretty honest. I keep a few test rings in gold and silver in a dry bottle hung around my neck to show people a little of what I have found. If they want into the hobby, I give them a Kellyco business card with my name on the bgack as a referral. I've been dealing with them since 1967.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor, your right, if I was to hunt the gulf I would use a sifter there if I could get close parking as there is usually no surf at all, in the Atlantic it just isnt worth it. I'm too busy trying to not drown :o to worry about the sifter... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread