Any Ideas on this Find?

WBL2385

Jun 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I suspect that this is a terrestrial ore rock, but I'd appreciate any advice from the experts. I live about 30 minutes north of St. Paul, MN, and our property was a farm field before the houses were built in 1976. To my knowledge, there should be no slag sources in this area. We also live on a hill that is full of rock (looks like river rock) and clay. While tilling the garden, this rock glimmered a little bit in the sun. There are no signs of gas bubbles, and it is worn smooth on one side and rough on another. The smooth sides are positioned in a way that is consistent with entering the atmosphere. IT is HIGHLY metallic and clings to a magnet, but doesn't seem to be magnetic itself. On the rough side, there are tiny sparkles when you shine a light in it. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but any advice is appreciated:

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing it...in the last picture, it looks to be broken with only the bottom right quarter being eldest. So, if the other 3/4 of rock were broken, I think you would see more regmaglypting and some remnant of fusion crust

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't count it out yet as a meteorite. You say it was not like the other rocks, out of place. That's good, but you have to grind off one of those corners and look inside. If it's metallic, then you have to polish it, etch it with an acid, to find the Widmanstatten pattern in the metal.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard WBL2385! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

ali1

Dec 4, 2015
جدة
Primary Interest:
Other
The first picture shows that it was a fossilized piece of wood millions of years ago

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have to cut the old girl open and take a peek. Note I've found similar rocks that turned out to be mostly boron. Black coating, magnetic and showed widmanstatten pattern (meteowrongs)... It's just to hard to tell from image. You're going to want to see that olivine!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread