2-18-11 7_jpg-thumb.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
very heavy bevel on the first one. Looks like both edges on the same face. Kinda weird... but a nice piece!
Both are from the same material??
THNX for the pics archer.

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
outlawatheart said:
very heavy bevel on the first one. Looks like both edges on the same face. Kinda weird... but a nice piece!

Actually the right hand edge of the face pictured is only slightly sharpened. If ya flip it over it is beveled on the left just like the left on the visible side....make sense? I think it was probably sharpened and resharpened a number of times.

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
archer66 said:
outlawatheart said:

Actually the right hand edge of the face pictured is only slightly sharpened. If ya flip it over it is beveled on the left just like the left on the visible side....make sense? I think it was probably sharpened and resharpened a number of times.
makes perfect sense :) I think your right on the reworkings
I have several dovetails that are heavily beveled on alternate sides, it makes them very spiraled when viewed from the tip to the tail.
I think it shows the handing(righty or lefty)of the maker

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
The top one is a Dickson and the bottom one is an Apple Creek like you said. One of the problems with the Overstreet books is he called everything with a stem an Adena. Dickson points are attributed to the Hopewell culture and have nothing to do with Adena.

Nice finds.

Hippy

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First point looks to be made out of Kaolin and the second out of heat treated Burlington........I agree with the typology..........Beautiful keepers man............GTP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Hippy said:
The top one is a Dickson and the bottom one is an Apple Creek like you said. One of the problems with the Overstreet books is he called everything with a stem an Adena. Dickson points are attributed to the Hopewell culture and have nothing to do with Adena.

Nice finds.

Happy

Thank you for stating the not so obvious Hippy! Nearly every stemmed point that I've inquired about on Tnet results in it being called an Adena. If I found 25 Clovis points and one Adena in a rock shelter, it's likely they'd all be called Adena by Tnet. When I try to determine the multi cultural nature of the rock shelters of Kentucky, if there's an obvious Adena in the mix, the call is always "Nice Adena Site". No one will step out a say damn, that's a nice archaic bifurcated point mixed in with all of those Adena points.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is "what state are you in?" Trying to pin point a type by State is slightly narrow minded in my opinion. The Rock Shelter people of Kentucky and the Cliff Dwellers of the Ozarks are thought to be one in the same by some archaeologists. So, if an Ozark native visits Kentucky on a regular basis and drops a few points here and there they'll never be identified as to what they truly are. I think we seriously under estimate the amount of traveling the Natives conducted in a single year or season.

Nice finds Archer, I've always wanted to find a point with that kind of severe beveling...jealous!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread