Any ideas on value for EBay?

saturn69

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a river in SC, and since I am not really a collector I thought I might want to sell. Any ideas what I could get for it? I will probably put it in ebay but don't want to give it away. I guess if its not worth much I will just keep it so thats why I am asking.

IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0096.JPG Spear2.JPG Spear1.JPG

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing about ebay is you can pretty much ask whatever you want for anything. If you don't have much information about it, it will be a harder sell. If you know it is authentic, that's at least a start. Anytime you want to make sure you maximize value, and also make sure that its enough worth selling for put it at auction. Make the starting price the minimum you'd accept for it. If it doesn't sell, it's not worth that and you have your answer about keeping it instead.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have started as a spear and then when the base cleanly
broke, could have been used as a knife or scraper.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Are you sure about that Megaldon? If a knife or scraper, how would they hold it? I'm far from having any real knowledge on the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me how they would hold the tool and put it to use. There's no reworking of the broken end so if that was put into the palm, wouldn't it cut the skin? If it was attached to something else wouldn't we see evidence of that, like you see on arrow heads with notching? Has my common sense lost itself or???

Anywho, nice broken spear point, imo. My guess is about 20 to 50 bucks but it really boils down to what another will pay you for it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is odd. Sometimes I'll win on something inexpensively, the next time, astronomical. It will just depend on who might want it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure about that Megaldon? If a knife or scraper, how would they hold it? I'm far from having any real knowledge on the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me how they would hold the tool and put it to use. There's no reworking of the broken end so if that was put into the palm, wouldn't it cut the skin? If it was attached to something else wouldn't we see evidence of that, like you see on arrow heads with notching? Has my common sense lost itself or???

Anywho, nice broken spear point, imo. My guess is about 20 to 50 bucks but it really boils down to what another will pay you for it.

Its pure conjecture on my part. You are right that it shows no sign of being reworked and was likely not hafted after the break. It may have been just lost or pitched after being broken. Would have made a very nice piece if complete. I'd rather lose the tip any day than the base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread