Any ideas on what this is

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
protractor shape iron 008.jpg
Found this at low waters edge,very heavy in crud,been down a long time. It is forged not cast. Any help would be nice.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Mr nibbs your blackberry is gps enabled, It puts the coords to the exact location the photo is taken, as metadata on your photos. I would advise turning it off to protect yourself and your sites.

as for whatthat thing is I have not a clue.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It doesn't look like Wrought iron to me, that would help with dating it, can you tell? Wrought iron usually has a stringy appearance like you see on old anchor rings. I've seen a similar piece on an old wood burning stove, but those were almost always cast iron. The piece of the stove also had a hinged door on it. Can you see any evidence of hinges being mounted on the flat bottom of the arch? The size and shape are very close, but that is my only guess.

Good luck,

Jason

PS - LostCauses is correct, I pulled the GPS coordinates of where those pics were taken out of the meta data header of the image. Be careful!

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be the front plate to the fire box hole that the stokers would shovel coal into, but I think it is pretty small for that and only 3 rivets chances are I am wrong. ( I was wrong once before, LOL).
ZDD

Attachments

• 4a14410a.preview.jpg
    4a14410a.preview.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for the good advice guys, here is a better photo, its forged not cast,you can see three separate pieces, but no hinges. Nice day in spring 002.jpg

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please take a picture with a scale or measuring tape in the pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread