Any ideas on what to do (legally) with 60 really good looking fake Morgans?

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if any of you have followed my recent thread you know i got taken to the cleaners for some very good fake Morgans dollars, including some key dates. I was already givin the idea by another member who asked to purchase a couple for educational purposes, and see this as a option to recoup my loses.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I dont want just pass the buck to someone else, and if they go to something like a display at LCS or something as a reference, then it keeps these off the streets. id like to return them for my money back, probably wont happen. i could destroy them, and eat over 1K ( i have 2 babies, thats not a option)

These coins do weigh correctly but are a tiny bit wider on the rim then a normal morgan, and non magnetic.. all i tested was weight and to see if it was magnetic.. i didnt really notice they size of them rim until i stacked it on my other morgan.. and the ping is alittle off.

So if anyone knows of someone whos looking to build a counterfeit Morgan dollar collections, let me know lol, but if you have any ideas it would really
help (I dont want to sell my AG!!)

Thanks everyone,

Starkizzle

image.jpg image (3).jpg image (1).jpg image (2).jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there no way you can involve authorities to assist you in getting your money back? If indeed these were misrepresented to you
as genuine Morgan Silver dollars , that is criminal behavior - Good Luck !

(StarKizzle , what are these fakes made of ? )

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the police route i dont really see resulting in my money back.. this is assuming they find this guy... and im not sure what they are made of.. i drilled thru one, it was shiny but i think may have had brass in it

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not 100% sure you can legally possess these things. I know that replica coins have to have the word "copy" on them somewhere. Being that they are "made to deceive"/counterfeit, they may be illegal to even possess.

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you start selling them off and they find the guy the only way you will get your money back is if you can give him back the 60 morgans.

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened on another forum dealing with bars. Cops dropped charges if he returned the money for bars.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be the case with bullion... morgans are us currency.. i don't think they will want him to have them either... I'm not doing anything til i talk to the police, but i have thought of marking them

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make stuff with them:dontknow: Belts, buckles, biker type gear, do something that would practically ruin them, but still look cool... good luck

GoldAudio

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make hobo dollars from them... BTW its the Secret Service (USSS) who goes after counterfeiters

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use them as paper weights.

That's what I use my fake 100oz Engelhard bar for.. luckly it was refunded by PayPal but I still received the bar from a chienese shipper. Careful out there, Caveat Emptor!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it for silver value if they are made of silver, or hold onto them to sell eventually. Possibly make necklaces or belt buckles out of them. /shrug

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably post a CL "wanted" ad for silver coins. See if the guy who sold you these fakes makes contact with you.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling them for $25 is wrong imo

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one word: loincloth

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iamrussell..... really??? Hope on my thread and just throw that out there? Thanks for your opinion... u know what you can do with it

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you sell them at all even as copies or even give them away and someone deceives another with them the trail will lead back to you. I'd turn them in to the secret service as evidence of a very serious crime. You never know, they might find the guy and you may recoup some of your loss.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to be safe, you might want to research the legalities of selling a fake U.S. coin not marked as a "replica" or "copy".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread