Any ideas on where the silver might be hiding?

Z

zenith82

I've only been seriously detecting for a year and I've made a few neat finds. I hunt whenever I get a chance (usually weekends) and I've recovered about 4,000 coins so far. The only thing I've noticed is the lack of silver that seems to come my way. Of those 4,000 coins, only two have been silver, a 1945-S Walking Liberty half and a 1956 Roosevelt dime. There have been about 100 or so Wheaties (1912 to 1958) and an 1890 Indian Head. The rest have all been clads or memorials.

I always try to hunt older neighborhoods. I've hit around schools (here in WV they've paved most of the schoolyards for some strange reason so I have to be content hunting around the buildings), grass medians, parks, and the like pretty hard. I've also hunted around a few older houses, but people in southern WV usually don't seem to be too willing to give permission.

I'm going to be relocating to King George, VA in about a month. Does anyone out there have any advice on other possible areas to hunt so I might increase my silver finds some? I've recovered Wheaties at about 8" or so before, so I don't think depth is a problem. And I'm fairly certain the areas I'm hunting have not seen much if any hunting in the past.

Thanks and happy hunting,

Tom

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've got a fine pile of silver over the years. I started out as Jakesvalet suggests, going for the quantity, not the quality. First couple years out I loaded up on change and hit all the most likely spots, Carnival sites, fairs, festivals, playgrounds.

Those finds slowed as I turned toward getting the older finds but sometimes, during street or sidewalk work, I've had real banner sites that yielded pouches full of silver and old cent, 5 cent and other coins and goodies. Finding those old goodies in quantity will be a matter of site selection, research and opportunity. Those targets of opportunity such as construction/demolition sites cannot be overlooked and should be exploited as the opportunity presents itself.

Determine what style of detecting suits you. Fast buck, quick change? That keeps you in battery and gas money for sure once you have determined your personal routine and there are many renewable resource sites for this type of detecting.

Relic, treasure, cache, or old goodies hunting is more challenging and requires more footwork, homework and attention to detail. I still find silver at fairly shallow spots in "hunted out areas" as many others do as well. Depends on the thouroughness of those who have hunted before me. Pick a type of detecting that suits your equipment, character and habits and then expand as you learn. I was not a bottle collector before md'ing, or a marble collector, but those things came along as a natural offshoot of the opportunities that have presented themselves.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 17
  • reed & Barton Baby spoon.jpg
    reed & Barton Baby spoon.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Z

zenith82

thanks

Jakesvalet,

It is good to find the clads and memorials (at least you can roll them up and take them to the bank!). As for the parks, I would never hunt a state or national, but I haven't had any problems with community parks. I stay out of flowerbeds and the like, but areas like picnic areas, playgrounds, etc. I've hunted extensively. I haven't had any problems with police. Actually, a cop came up to me and asked how I was doing once and pointed out an area where he and a lot of other kids used to play in the early '60s (found a few wheaties there too).

Lowbatts,

When I first started detecting, I was happy with newer stuff, but now that I've been at it a while, I'm looking more for the older coins and relics. The most productive site I've had so far has been where they demolished a 1912 high school last year and took away the top few inches of dirt. I've found wheaties from the '10s and '20s there quite often and that is also where my '56 Roosevelt and 1890 IH came from. The trouble is, it's hard to catch these places with the concrete torn up. The 1945-S Walking Liberty came from a "hunted out" baseball field I went to while visiting a friend in another part of WV and it was only about 3-4" deep.

Thanks for both of your replies. Guess I'll just have to stay at it and see what turns up. Unfortunately, I missed sidewalk construction about 4 years ago in my hometown. It went right in front of an 1896 bank! Oh well, guess I'll have to wait 20 years or more for another chance to hunt that place!

Tom

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tom; There is plenty of silver left to be found. It seems you are doing things right, but you could be in a location where the economy was severly depressed in days of yore. If I recall WV is in Appalachia, a region long reputed to suffer from a poor economy, as such the old timers may have had nothing to lose, barter was a way of life in the remoter regions of the US, and still is in remote areas, and you just won't find a lot of old coins, like say New England. Since you are moving, maybe you will get into an area that had a better economy, and folks had something to lose. I have found the bigger the city, and stronger the local economy was, then the more old silver I find. I would love to go to Detroit and dig for a week! What you think? Birmingham Alabama is a big town, but the digging I've done there brought meager returns, whereas Atlanta has always produced old silver, when I'm up to the task of working the old downtown areas. Don't give up - there's some good silver out there with your name on it! GOOD LUCK!!!

Attachments

• 1902 IH.jpg
    1902 IH.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 10

sburton1313

Apr 17, 2004
Indiana
Tom,

When I was younger and had more time I would hit all of the parks, schools, fairs, etc. and come away with occasional "keepers". Now that I only get out a few times a year, research is a must. Go to a library and find old maps from 1900 of your area. Search these maps for places that are now just empty cornfields or cow pasture. My best finds come from where old one room school houses used to stand. If they were torn down 50 years ago, chances are no one has ever detected there. One school house I found a token from the 1886 (my memory may not be accurate on that date) world's fair, a 1910 penny, a 1911 barber dime in uncirculated condition (one of the nicest coins I have found) a key date 1868 Indian head in beautiful condition (no pitting) just a light green patina covering the coin, and and 1856 half dime.

I don't do this well at all school houses and actually I only found 17? there but WHAT A 17? it was!!

Good luck with your hunting!

Steve

Attachments

• Furber water pump parts JockyCapRock ME. Nov.2016.JPG
    Furber water pump parts JockyCapRock ME. Nov.2016.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Juno Lamp 3.JPG
    Juno Lamp 3.JPG
    819.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Stock Buckle found 1966 CT. front.JPG
    Stock Buckle found 1966 CT. front.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Marx Car Coupe 1930s pic2.JPG
    Marx Car Coupe 1930s pic2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Marx Car Coupe 1930s pic1.JPG
    Marx Car Coupe 1930s pic1.JPG
    971.5 KB · Views: 11

awsmix

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2004
Elmore county, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, 1260
Silver

Tom....All these replies are right on the money. Hunt the oldest sites you can get permission to hunt; schools, churchyards, campgrounds and the like. Even though they might be hunted pretty heavily already, there's always that chance that someone overlooked the good one. I've been hunting places like that and have someone come by and tell me of another place I should be looking.
Persistence pays off.

Mix

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Tom, only suggestion I would make is to Keep On Hunting and researching sites. Sooner or later you will find "silver". The IH and the wheaties are a good sign that silver may be in the same area or nearby, you just may need to hunt more thoroughly. Also may need to hunt in all metal mode and dig all signals if you think the silver may be deeper than the IH and wheaties were. HH Scotty

Attachments

• metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-2.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 47
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-3.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 45
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-5.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-5.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 43
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-4.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 48
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-6.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-6.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 51
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-7.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-7.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 51
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-8.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-8.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 47
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-lake-1.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-lake-1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 46
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-cat-1.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-cat-1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 42
  • metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-1.jpg
    metal-detecting-whites-spectra-v3i-1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 48
K

kytreasurehunter

Don't forget the old country stores, the railroad stations, and the paths to the plantation outhouses fot the times when folks were in, well... a hurry. wink wink HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread