Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullet Mold.JPG
working on cleaning up this mold, I have 99% of the rust off and the two sides are free, I expected the rust to take its toll on the pin that holds the two sides together so I'm not surprised the two pieces come apart but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of how to join the two halves while still allowing the mold to open and close. two ideas I had come with potential drawbacks. first I thought the fit is already very tight maybe if I tapped a nail on the center of the pin it would flare just enough to lock the two pieces together. My second thought was seeing if I couldn't hold the pin upside down and put a tiny drop of solder on it hoping I could get a small drop that wouldn't flow down and lock them back up, anyone have any better ideas that aren't potentially damaging to the pin or potentially welding it together?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if the one half had a stud on it that was flared after other side was added ,or if it had a rivet through both pieces.
Messing with it will rob originality. A rivet could be made to look older/ aged if replacing one.
If a stud was part of one side and then flared ...building up stud enough to repeat the design ,or imitate it ,will be tough without cheating and using a welder.

Not usable to cast with ,I' d leave it as is. Original unmolested ,except for time exposed to corrosion.
Greasing the hinge point and storing the mold with a greased projectile would have been nice after it's last use ,but who knows how it came to rest....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the stud is fixed on one side so I'm guessing the other side was slightly flared or had a little nub which rusted away, I def don't want to mess with it any more than I have to I wanted to stop the rust have it move for fun and coincidentally I am going to display it with the flintlock pistol lock plate and the small pistol round I found in the same area

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it as is, opened up as it laid for years and years. I bet it will make for a very nice display. Post up a pic when you get it all assembled.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Very nice mold Older The Better. Personally, I have a few mounted on an old piece of wood and hanging up near one of my muskets.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished Mold Closed.jpg
I'm Pretty happy with the results I'm not going to push my luck joining them permanently. now I just have to finish my display box

Attachments

• Finished Mold.jpg
    Finished Mold.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread