Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Any ideas what this might be?

Hello drsno1,

Some side profile pictures would help a lot, but it appears to be a hand ax or a very large chopper.

H_S

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'd call it a quarry blank. It could have been used, but I think a lot of those are just where an ancient knapper decided not to carry a big nodule of flint back to the camp. He just knocked off the cortex and got to see if the stone was solid in the middle.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are quaried blanks that can be used in a pinch for many things. I've never left one behind, I always hold onto them when I find them.
I aways thought they were made, used and left where they used it last. (such as in a camp) Large enough to sustain many resharps and to be used again and again. Easy to make, there was no use to carry them along as raw material was everywhere.
I like the large ones too. Nice !! Thanks Lone Star

OP
OP
D

drsno1

May 18, 2009
Lone Star said:
They are quaried blanks that can be used in a pinch for many things. I've never left one behind, I always hold onto them when I find them.
I aways thought they were made, used and left where they used it last. (such as in a camp) Large enough to sustain many resharps and to be used again and again. Easy to make, there was no use to carry them along as raw material was everywhere.
I like the large ones too. Nice !! Thanks Lone Star
Thanks for the information everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread