Any info on old painting

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427084611.247669.jpg

This isn't exactly a find, but I will put it out here anyway and maybe someone an give some info... This painting. Was donated to our church in I think the 60's by an really old lady and from what I understand, she had it for quite a while. So I believe the painting to be possibly 100 years old. Any information, even if it is about the frame, or even about a similar work that could help indicate the artist! Haven't taken it out of the frame to see if there is possibly a name hidden. Afraid too...

I think it's over a 100 yrs. old. 1890's -1900's. ?? I've seen these type of old paintings over time in antique shops. My guess is they were done buy street artists of the Victorian times. Maybe sold on the streets or county fairs. It seems they are of no particular landscape, but just a wonderful rendition of mystic mountain landscapes. The frame may also be a clue to the time it was produced.

Upvote 0
There's not much to go on.

Will you tell us where you are from? Do you think this is a local scene?

Can you tell us the name of the lady? She donated it for a reason. I'd take the painting out of the frame to see what she hid behind it.

Anybody have thoughts on what the white "posts" are in the background beyond the fence? Looks like 3 maybe more) in a row lining the carriage path. Or maybe I'm just seeing things... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, to properly research the painting it would have to be removed from the frame. If you are afraid to do it, you should have it done professionally. Before you do, take some close ups of the painting so experts can see the brush strokes. know the area of its origin is a plus. Experts can tell you before it is removed if it is worth going any further. If they feel it is worthy of pursuit they will remove it for you to look for a signature which is more than likely hidden by the oval frame. I feel this painting is very old. At least 100 years but that in itself does not make it valuable. If it is from a prominent street painter it could be astronomical. Worth pursuing for sure! Good luck!

Upvote 0
It looks like a lake behind it with boats with rectangle sails. Not the reflection in the water. I am in Mississippi. Definitely not a local scene. I will have to see if mom remembers the ladies name.

Upvote 0
White post are sails on boats

Wow! I didn't see that at all! I thought it was a carriage path leading to the mountains. They are mountains, right?

After a second look I guess I see the water.

Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427138788.331673.jpg

I ended up having a closer up photo already. Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
What are the dimensions? The frame appears to be a solid piece of quarter sawn oak; 1880-1910 or so. A piece that size would be rare in my neck of the woods ( south east US). Interesting piece. I would be surprised if it is not quite valuable. I really like this.

Upvote 0
I will have to measure it when I go back that way. It is big... Never thought of it being solid piece of wood!

Upvote 0
The new pic helps a lot. Now I see the sails and the reflection on the water.

Do a Google image search on '"Hudson River School" landscape painting'. It reminds me of that style.

Around the turn of the 20th C it was a popular thing to run off to art school. There were several notable schools. Maybe this painting was done by someone in the family of the lady who donated it.

Upvote 0
Definitely has that same feel DCMatt! Definitely going to do some research in that direction. I think the lady was about 100 when she donated it 40 -50 something years ago. No telling...

Upvote 0
Emailed photos to a Hudson River museum. Hopefully they can help identify or give me some guidance

Upvote 0
Here is a Hudson River School painting from 1865 called "View on the Hudson" by Kensett.

Kensett-View-on-the-Hudson.jpg

Upvote 0
It appears to me that this was painted to fit the frame. What I'm trying to ineloquently say is that the landscape appears to have been painted with the intention of being displayed in an oval frame.

Upvote 0
I spent some time looking at Hudson River School paintings. Many of them are different views and interpretations of the places along the river. Yours may be a view of the Hudson from West Point or Fort Putnam.

July5_weir.jpg
Storm King Mountain on the left and Breakneck Ridge on the right. Of course I'm only guessing...

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It appears to me that this was painted to fit the frame. What I'm trying to ineloquently say is that the landscape appears to have been painted with the intention of being displayed in an oval frame.

That's what I thought, but I am seeing very few paintings in oval frames. Hopefully that is an artist "trademark" and helps to identify the artist. Found out it was donated in the 60's and the lady had it for a long time. I have always been intrigued by this painting and the mystery of it since I was a small child.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back