Any info on this group of old metal? Was told it was from Atocha.

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
In the sea / Fl West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this small box of rusty metal from an elderly womans estate new Tampa Fl. She told me that the "stuff" came from the Atocha and was given to her late husband years ago by Mel.

Is there anything in this group that stands out to you experts?

Thanks for any insight.

20131228_102101.jpg 20131228_102143.jpg 20131228_102128.jpg 20131228_102136.jpg 20131228_102112.jpg 20131228_102122.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Who knows where it really came from?
A letter from Mel along with he holding this stuff would certainly add value to this collection.
What are the diameters (in mm) of the two round objects?
Is one of those diameters the same as the diameter of 'circles' as shown on the largest piece?
Don. ...

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't upload pics from my phone but will when I get back to work from lunch. The small ball weight 3.79 ounces and is about 1 1/4 inches diameter. The large ball is 1 lb 14 oz and is about 2 1/2 inches diameter.

The small ball rests nicely in the larger piece with the circles but there is not enough room between the circles for more than one of them to sit.

I'll post more pics in about an hour. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
The large items in the center of your pics have the same type of encrustation as the Atocha. They appear to be barrel hoop fragments. Most of the other items seem to be from other sources. The spikes look like they are from a railroad. The cannon balls don't seem to be Atocha since they appear to be seamless and the wrong size. This just looks like a miscellaneous collection from various sources.
Many pieces of Atocha encrustation were discarded by the State of Florida Conservation Dept. prior to the 1975 division. Pieces of encrustation were also sold in the gift shop on Mel's old replica Galleon. Canister shot from Atocha had wooden pallets not like the metal object in the pics. While the shot itself was made of lead. The best canister shot example in on display at the Key West Museum.

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The three pieces in the center are pieces of the same item as they all fit together but have split apart over the years. The spike does appear to be a railroad spike however, it is a fraction of the size of a railroad spike that I am used to. The circles on the metal piece are on both front and back, when I first saw them I wondered if someone had popped cobs of off the piece??

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
I think those pieces are Atocha discards and the rest of the stuff is from the 19th century.

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those pieces are Atocha discards and the rest of the stuff is from the 19th century.

Donovan should know he is one of the most knowledgeable guys on this forum, in fact his photos are insane - splooshh

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20131229_051619.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 274
Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any artifact/s that rely on provenance are worth their lowest value as random, unattributed objects without some sort of credible documentation as to where they came from.

The old joke at the Antiques Roadshow gun appraisal table is that half the Colt Single Action Armies brought in are elaborately attributed to the same three people- Buffalo Bill, Billy the Kid or Jesse James- per the deceased relative who used to own it and never told a lie in his or her life.

Entirely possible it *is* random Atocha rummage but without something to document that, it's rusty old grapeshot and encrusted scraps of metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread