• armstong&clark token.jpg
    armstong&clark token.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 230

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This token is of the class, "St. Louis part incuse" as it was made there and of a design popularized there. They were sold all over the region. Look very closely at the reverse. Some of the St. Louis makers put their name there, but some didn't - often the name gets worn off. In 1889, there was an Armstrong & Clark firm in Neosho, MO (how close is that to where you found it?) in the stationery and book business. In many cases, such establishments also sold cigars and had a soda fountain. More research is definitely needed on this one.
John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Oops--I should have re-read your post to see that you found it near Neosho. The reference is from Caspar's Directory of the American Book, News, and Stationery Trade from 1889. I'll run this past the MO trade token cataloguer.
John in ID

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Armstrong & Arcularius are listed as drugs in Neosho in the 1912 Bradstreet. By 1918 H.E. Arcularius is in business by himself. I would think if you have access to any business directories for Neosho slightly earlier than 1912 you might be able to pin this one down.

OP
OP
DigMO

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Thank you both for your information. John there are no marks on the back at all. I will have to look into finding some of the old business directories from Neosho.

chinasmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
The Armstrong & Clark token is indeed from Neosho, MO. The firm, a drug store, is listed under this name in the 1889 Dun directory and the 1891 Missouri state gazetteer. I didn't find either name listed in 1881 gazetteer, and didn't find them listed in 1893 or 1898 Dun directories. So, this token must be from the late 1880's or first few years of the 1890's. Though unmarked on the back, the token was manufactured in St. Louis, where 30 different companies "made" such tokens. That is, 30 different "makers" names scan be found on the back, but most had the tokens made by someone else. At the time this token was used, I don't think soda came in bottles, it was sold "on tap" at drug stores.

OP
OP
DigMO

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Wow- thank you for that information. You all have been very helpful. Do you have any idea what it might be worth?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread