Any Issues Detecting with a Heart Implant?

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine just got a Biotronic ICD Itrevia Pacemaker/Defibrillator installed in his chest. His doctor says he can metal detect as long as he keeps the coil as far away from his chest as possible; this is a little vague. Now that I have an AT Pro coming, I'd like him to start using my Ace 250. Does anyone here have one of these implants who knows what the minimum distance to the chest should be, and would there be any limitations in using a pro-pointer as well? He went out detecting with me this past weekend without issues. I'd hate for him to receive a nasty shock, and maybe worse. Thanks.
-Dr. Wittty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately - those who did discover the minimum safe distance can't respond.

He should probably do a few trial runs in the company of an assistant while he sits in a chair.

The output of detectors is pretty low; but I'm no doctor, Doctor.

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ICD implanted 4 years ago, and all they told me to do was stay away from strong magnets and welding machines... Your friend should have to go back every so often to have it checked by a tech., at which time they'll read the implants' history, and spot any issues with it. I've been using my XLT same as I always have, at least as long as I've felt like it, no problems so far. Tell him to listen to his body, when he needs to rest, rest... Sometimes it's rough not being 20 anymore.
HH, Don

c.d.

Feb 2, 2015
WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting about 6 months ago and no problems so far. I did have a run-in with a magnet a while back, no shock just a beeping noise from the ICD. I called in and they said everything was fine. I'm more worried about my pinpointer than my detector.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try contacting the manufacturer. They should know the answer to that question and would probably be happy to help.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I've never tried detecting with an implant but if I had one I would give it a spin.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the helpful replies. He's going to give it a go. It will be nice to finally have a detecting buddy along to share the hunt.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't think any doctor would recommend it and I personally would pick up another activity even though chances seem small that it will go bad. One fall, trip, wrong bend to pick something up, etc. and that can be it for you. In one google search it doesn't sound that safe:

Article 1 - woman dies from airport metal detector: Woman dies after metal detector causes pacemaker to malfunction | Fox News

Article 2: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/532028_4

From the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/PublicHealthNotifications/ucm062288.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
adamBomb: All those metal detector incidents and suggestions you posted have to do with Airport Metal detectors not Treasure hunting detectors. I'm sure my friend would never pass a Garrett coil over his chest and he doesn't own a pin pointer...yet. c.d. seems to be doing just fine with his implant. My friend is still going to consult his doctor first, but it's looking like he's going to take up this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread