Any M/D ers from around Benton on this sight.

OP
OP
craigsaaron

craigsaaron

Mar 8, 2009
Youngsville, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Tommy: Any good hunting in town? I have never hunted in the area. Let me know whats happening in that area.

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hi, the hunting around Benton is not too bad, seems that all the old schools and churcheseverybody knows about have been hit and cleaned out years ago, I have hit quite a few private yards and did pretty good. They bulldozed the old fairgrounds area and are building a large housing subdivision on it, but the old fairgrounds were cleaned out in the 1970's from what I have heard but I'm sure those old detectors missed a bunch). they bulldozed about 12-14 inches of the entire top layer of dirt and piled it in the rear or the development. That would have been great to search( I have permission) but the first 8-10 inches where all the coins and good stuff would have been is now at the bottom of a pile of dirt about 10 feet high and 200 feet long. Too make matters worse, they are not going to spread it out, they are going to leave it as a small hill or something for landscaping purposes!!

p.s. My father recently gave me a map from 1921 that shows only the roads, schools, and churches in Franklin and part of Jefferson county, so I'm hoping I can find some virgin grounds ripe for the picking!!!!

OP
OP
craigsaaron

craigsaaron

Mar 8, 2009
Youngsville, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Hey Tommyboy, thanks for info. I went to Washington School in West City, Jr. High in Benton, and of coarse Benton High. Last time up there I noticed Washington School was still there but not a school any longer. The Jr High had been torn down, and High School (Old School had been torn down). Seemed these areas would be fun to do some dirt fishing. Also the properties of old schools, Logan, Douglas, Lincoln, and Grant Schools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread