Any more BFO detectors? Still make them?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The only modern BFOs that i have seen for sale were at Radio Shack. I don't go to big box stores and have never examined the off-brand detectors they sell. I don't remember where they were made because i didn't examine them. The majority of the off-brand off-shore detectors are made in china. There may still be some top end manufacturers in England. Maybe our British members could make a recommendation for you.
You can still buy new in the box Bounty Hunter Outlaw BFO/TR hybrids circa 1974 (I keep one of mine in my vehicle) and Garret Master Hunter BFOs circa mid-70s. Those are usually found used with all the loops. The few Garretts that are still in the box will set you back $500 to over a thousand depending on what you get with them. I have found the Bounty Hunter new in the box for $100 to $200. I also have the BFO versions of the White's Beachcomber; Goldmaster and Treasuremaster. There is also a nicer D-tex BFO in limited quantities. There are usually less listed on ebay under "metal detector BFO" than under "metal detector vintage". I suspect many of the sellers don't know the difference. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try looking in the pawn shops. Lot of them got stuck with them not knowing. You can probably pick one up real cheap if you ask them what their buy price is. Then offer them $5 over. It works sometimes

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UncleVinnys said:
Wow, you really know your stuff Siefried! :thumbsup:

I saw a cheap one on eBay.
all say :thumbsup:What is a bfo detector had to ask nevr seen any specs on how they work, but I due no the diffrence bettween P.I & V.L.F's

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
My 1st metal detector was a BFO Jetco Mustang. More of a toy than anything. Picked it up around 1975 and found alot of goodies with it. Mostly coin hunted in local parks and houses. man that was fun. I told a guy about a park I had found some cw minnies at and he went up there with a Metro-tech and cleaned up. Later found out he made some smokin' finds there. Moved up to a Whites Coinmaster for a short time. Later got hooked on girls and got occupied for about 10 years. Ohhh those were the days.....If I'd only started relic hunting back then, I'd have been one of those just kickin the dirt over and coming home with sacks of plates.

I did see a BFO Garrett on ebay. I remember reading where you could actually distinguish between paper money with them. Good cache hunters back then. JR

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
liftloop said:
all say :thumbsup: What is a bfo detector had to ask nevr seen any specs on how they work, but I due no the diffrence bettween P.I & V.L.F's

A BFO (beat-frequency oscillator) detector works by having two frequencies, say one at
7000 cycles per second (Hz) and another at 7400 Hz.
When you mix those two signals get a steady "harmonic" frequency too,
at 400 Hz, which is within human hearing range (when it's fed to
a speaker, anyway). It would be a steady
tone. When the two signal encounter a metal object, the steady tone
increase or decreases slightly, and you hear a warble, or blip in the
headphone.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I still own two BFO's. The best for coins and rings is the D-Tex Coinshooter. I also have
the Garrett Master Hunter and all the coils available. I got it in trade for the Groundhog
after complaining loudly at Garrett's Headquarters. I used the MH for deep cache hunting
and the D-Tex for coinshooting because it was so easy to use.

The question I have for other BFO enthusiasts is have you replaced the steel bolts and nuts
that hold the coil on with plastic/nylon ? I believe you would get more depth by doing so.
I would also like to replace the lower stem to plastic but need some advise about an upgrade
like that.

What makes the BFO unique is they go silent over ferrous and react only to non-ferrous
in most instances. Thanks for the tip on finding old BFO's on e-bay.

Still ticking & beeping at 69 . . . lastleg

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I added my last four wants to my statement. until then i was still buying and kept the
ebay tip to myself. You will only be bidding against me if these four models come up so no
harm no foul. You can also BFO your TR. I'll let you folks headbone that one for awhile and
see if you cvan figure out how to do that. siegfried schlagrule

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
UncleVinnys said:
Wow, you really know your stuff Siefried! :thumbsup:

I saw a cheap one on eBay.

I still own them but have alll but four that I want so quit buying them.
I have a lifetime supply now barring another flood or a tornado. Unless
those four show up on ebay i won't be bidding against anyone. Brain
teaser posted. give it some thought. siegfried schlagrule

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
While noodling the brain teaser, I must remind you dear Siegfried, the question I posed
is still on the table. lastleg

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
lastleg said:
While noodling the brain teaser, I must remind you dear Siegfried, the question I posed
is still on the table. lastleg

That depends. The ones that i have just to own as mementos i keep
stock. the ones i use regularly have many field expedients. The one
that i carry around is the Bounty Hunter Outlaw BFO/TR hybrid circa
1974. I haul out the Garrett Master Hunter BFO with the huge loops
when i need it. I have both the huge oval and the square loop. My
two box is the Metrotech 303A. I also have the Metrotech 220A and
the 220S underwater detector. In D-tex I have the Professional. Others
are just show and display pieces. The old wood loops for the White's
BFOs don't work really very well in damp grass. Hardware doesn't bother
me one way or the other. Whatever works works. Hardest was finding sources
for the old 67 1/2 volt batteries. My collection will finally be handy later this
year. I was recently able to get rid of the bed in my research room. When i
find another couple large shelves I'll be able to make some progress on
storing stuff where it is easy to find when i need it.
Most early white's let you select between metal and mineral so you can
dig ferrous if you want to. Some of the later BFOs offered discriminator
circuits. siegfried schlagrule

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Seigfried: I modifnied that 2' coil from the early Garrett BFO for use with the SEA HUNTER. Works just fine as a drop coil . with perhaps 30% more efecitve range than the standard large coil.

Fill out your collection with some Gardners, they were the kings in their time.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
You don't find any $50 Gardiners R de T. Not gonna put any more money into
show peices and have all i need to last the rest of my life. If I ever see a $50
Gardiner I'll probably get it. siegfried schlagrule

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
UncleVinnys said:
I do believe we are witnessing the birth of the
"Schlagrule Museum!"
:icon_profileleft:

If I ever open a museum I'll get people to give me old detectors and
I'll give them reciepts for tax deductible donations. Should be able to
round up loits of $50 detectors when they get the folks original price
deductions. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread