Any NorCal prospectors up for a day on the river tomorrow?

dfox

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located in Grass Valley and tend to stick to the South Yuba due to it's proximity. I've also been to the NF of the American and Yankee Jim's. My current sluicing buddy is deploying to Afghanistan so I'm looking for someone to hit up the river with. I have a mini Bazooka Gold Trap, 10" x 36" sluice, and a White's GMT (although I haven't really been able to use it since buying it). If anyone is interested, feel free to reply.

Upvote 0

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was at Bridgeport it was pans and hands only..Has that changed?

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

OP
OP
D

dfox

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still 'hands n pans'... I'm looking for a place I can finally bust out my White's GMT detector. I always struggle with the decision to either bust out the detector, or stick to what I know (gold trap and panning). So far it's been sticking to the Gold Trap and panning sonce I get limited days off and want to make the most of them. Guess I'll have to try out the Bear River so I can break out all my tools.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still 'hands n pans'... I'm looking for a place I can finally bust out my White's GMT detector. I always struggle with the decision to either bust out the detector, or stick to what I know (gold trap and panning). So far it's been sticking to the Gold Trap and panning sonce I get limited days off and want to make the most of them. Guess I'll have to try out the Bear River so I can break out all my tools.

Just wondering..I always had pretty good luck with my Gold Bug out around Malakoff..Get yourself a hand dredge sucker tube($26 on ebay) and clean out my hole on the B R..and/or try your White above the bedrock on the inside high bank...I'll bet you like it...but I get it back come next spring... ;)

OP
OP
D

dfox

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering..I always had pretty good luck with my Gold Bug out around Malakoff..Get yourself a hand dredge sucker tube($26 on ebay) and clean out my hole on the B R..and/or try your White above the bedrock on the inside high bank...I'll bet you like it...but I get it back come next spring... ;)

Herby, I appreciate tip and heads up. I'll probably stick to the Yuba this weekend due to the luck we've been having at the spot, but I am definitely interested in giving the Bear a shot. Especially with the metal detector. Thanks again for the suggestion. I will definitely give it a shot in the upcoming weeks.

Urbanlocke

Jun 18, 2014
Rough N Ready
Detector(s) used
For now my eyes and brain.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFox have you tried the deer creek up in Nevada City. If you haven't then give it a shot under the 49 off ramp. I have had some luck there and got a beer for showing a tourist how panning works.

OP
OP
D

dfox

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20140621_193331_828.jpg

and the hole keeps giving it up... 2nd pan of the day!

OP
OP
D

dfox

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*In reference to Herby's post about the Bear River near Dog Bar Rd* Gave it a shot yesterday, kind of a shorter exploratory trip. Saw tons of holes, and even a guy camping with a stacked stone fireplace. Not sure which was yours, so I left it undisturbed for you. Went about a 1/4th of a mile up stream on the east side on some bedrock. Did decent for only running about 2 bucks. Lot of fines. Guess I've gotten spoiled by the chunky stuff on the S. Yuba.

trinidaddave

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2013
Dfox, you can also try your luck at Bear River camp ground. They have a nice day use area. The Gold Hounds camp there every year for a long weekend and usually do pretty good. Did you check out a gold hound meeting yet? You may find someone there to partner up with. Check their web site goldhounds.com I don't have a lot of time, but, we could take a trip some time.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*In reference to Herby's post about the Bear River near Dog Bar Rd* Gave it a shot yesterday, kind of a shorter exploratory trip. Saw tons of holes, and even a guy camping with a stacked stone fireplace. Not sure which was yours, so I left it undisturbed for you. Went about a 1/4th of a mile up stream on the east side on some bedrock. Did decent for only running about 2 bucks. Lot of fines. Guess I've gotten spoiled by the chunky stuff on the S. Yuba.

Good to hear you could make it over there dfox..Sorry you didn't hit the motherload ;) The hole I left was probably covered in unless the water has receded by a couple feet..you're right about the chunky stuff, but it's always been a great prospect for lots of fines..Where you go on the South Yuba, can you use a sluice....I probably won't be able to make it back up there until spring time..Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread