Any one replace their SE PRO with an E-Trac?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather hear if anyone who had an XS or ExII (for years) switched to an E-trac. Most (or many) people who had an SE and made the change probably didn't really even know that detector before making the move. I would love to have an E-trac to play with for a day or two like I used to do with many other detectors for fun, but it's too much money to bother. I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet every person I knew who bought an Explorer back around the time I did, and has used it since, does not own an E-trac. If I thought it was better I guarantee I'd have one, but I just can't see how it could be. In my opinion the day Minelab came out with the Explorer II they reached the pinnacle and since then things have been going in a negative direction. A direction that might sell more units, because it's all about the money, but not a good direction for anyone who wants the best damn detector there is. (unfortunately was)

Many people do like their E-tracs aand that is totally cool! But I guess I'll be looked at as one of the old school guys because I have no plans to change anything anytime soon.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
I'd rather hear if anyone who had an XS or ExII (for years) switched to an E-trac. Most (or many) people who had an SE and made the change probably didn't really even know that detector before making the move. I would love to have an E-trac to play with for a day or two like I used to do with many other detectors for fun, but it's too much money to bother. I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet every person I knew who bought an Explorer back around the time I did, and has used it since, does not own an E-trac. If I thought it was better I guarantee I'd have one, but I just can't see how it could be. In my opinion the day Minelab came out with the Explorer II they reached the pinnacle and since then things have been going in a negative direction. A direction that might sell more units, because it's all about the money, but not a good direction for anyone who wants the best damn detector there is. (unfortunately was)

Many people do like their E-tracs aand that is totally cool! But I guess I'll be looked at as one of the old school guys because I have no plans to change anything anytime soon.

Well, I do know people have asked this question many times, but that was when the E-trac came out. So I'm wondering, since then,-after years of using the PRO- has anyone upgraded to the E-trac from the SE PRO. And if so, did you stay with it, or was it a waste.
I agree, it's a lot of money to put into something if your not going to like it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

I had a friend that had used an XS for 5+ years and bought an E-Trac shortly after they came out. I don't think he has looked back. Of course, he only used the WOT coil with his XS. I started out using only the WOT coil on my XS based on his experience / recommendation. Once I tried the 1050, I never looked back. And since I got the PRO coil, I don't see a real need for an E-Trac. I've hunted with E-Trac guys, and there is no difference in finds.

When I stop finding coins in plentiful amounts in public parks, then I might start looking for a different machine. Until then, I have no reason to change as I have never seen anything do it better than an XS.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

I had a friend that had used an XS for 5+ years and bought an E-Trac shortly after they came out. I don't think he has looked back. Of course, he only used the WOT coil with his XS. I started out using only the WOT coil on my XS based on his experience / recommendation. Once I tried the 1050, I never looked back. And since I got the PRO coil, I don't see a real need for an E-Trac. I've hunted with E-Trac guys, and there is no difference in finds.

When I stop finding coins in plentiful amounts in public parks, then I might start looking for a different machine. Until then, I have no reason to change as I have never seen anything do it better than an XS.

That made me think of something else.... Just because someone has used an explorer for years doesn't necessarily mean they are very good with it. Heck I know a guy who has had one for about 6 years and still to this day doesn't wear headphones. It's the type of person I could probably argue points with on a forum for an hour, but then if it was to come out he doesn't even wear headphones I'd realize I was wasting my time. That's the same as when I read an explorer post and someone mentions the screen readings. To me that's an automatic deal breaker to believing this person knows the detector very well. That's because I know the detector well without the screen and can prove the limitation to reading the meter on any given day at the typical type sites I hunt.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

That made me think of something else.... Just because someone has used an explorer for years doesn't necessarily mean they are very good with it. Heck I know a guy who has had one for about 6 years and still to this day doesn't wear headphones. It's the type of person I could probably argue points with on a forum for an hour, but then if it was to come out he doesn't even wear headphones I'd realize I was wasting my time. That's the same as when I read an explorer post and someone mentions the screen readings. To me that's an automatic deal breaker to believing this person knows the detector very well. That's because I know the detector well without the screen and can prove the limitation to reading the meter on any given day at the typical type sites I hunt.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with these forums and people new to detecting. They see people post some good finds and then automatically think those people know how to detect. I know people with some AMAZING finds. And then I ask what kind of spot they found them in, and they will say something like..... Oh, at my mom's house. She lives in a house built in 1840 with a 40 acre yard that has never been touched.

And then you hunt with them at a normal spot that has been hunted by others in the past and they wouldn't be able to detect their way out of a paper bag.

I am a park hunter first, and a field hunter more as of late. But I've had times at parks when I hear the right sound and I don't even look at my screen. I can tell just by the sound and length of the signal that it's a deep coin and I'm down and digging before I even think about checking the screen to see how deep it might be.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy of mine who swears that the Etrac has better depth then his explorer. He said he went to one of his pounded coin sites and pulled several coins and they were all extreamly deep. He is a sharp guy so I am thinking he is on to something. I just can't spend that kind of money.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't switch directly from the SE to the E-Trac, but, I did use the E-Trac in the same area where my SE had stopped producing and it was almost like virgin ground on very deep coins.

Our city park has very deep coins that poses a challenge for any detector. Over the years I've used many detectors trying to get to those very deep coins, and each seemed to get me just a few more keepers and a little deeper. The SE did well but just minimal more depth than the previous detector and that was only after time learning to use it to its best potential. I bought the E-Trac last year and from day one it found hand fulls of coins from the exact same spot. Without a doubt it was much easier to use than the SE and deeper.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another point is there are many people who hunt with faulty units or coils, and don't even know it. I've met two, and turns out there detectors just needed to be reset, but what a mess they were listening to. One was a long time detector guy and had no idea there was a problem until we debated a signal and I was perplexed how far off our opinions were, and I knew I wasn't wrong. Also from my experience I've had both detectors and coils with issues, and had I not used one for as long as I have, I probably wouldn't have realized there was a problem. Then there's also such a thing as a dud machine.... or one that's just not quite as good. The first Explorer II I had was a killer on coins but for some reason would only hit buttons a few inches. Other than that it seemed to run ok, and if someone new would have bought that detector they never would have realized there was a problem.... unless of course they were more into buttons than coins. (In that case they would have just thought it sucked - which it did) So when you add in all that on top of experience, style of hunting, type of sites, perception, etc. etc.... The only way anyone can ever really know is to try the detector themself.

PS... I would not trade my explorer for an e-trac if it was deeper but didn't have as good of target ID (sound) at depth. (That's the thing I love the most) Some day I might try one but it's not a huge deal for me because almost all of our sides get plowed and that does way more then any change in detector will do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread