any one use hoppers for halves here?

beebs88

May 5, 2013
I've Been coin roll hunting for a few years now and have been pretty mellow the past year after many conflicts with banks. Basically I have been cut down to buying $2,000 at first of each month and I'm able to return to same bank in coin lock bags. I've been marking the coins and not getting them back so figure its okay. Anyway, I found a new place to dump mass change and they are happy about it! So I'm upping my halves again but I am wondering if anyone has used a hopper and coin comparator for halves here. I have a setup with copper pennies right now but would love to make one for halves. Going through $30,000 in a month by hand was getting old. Not interested in the NIFC coins and I know I’ll miss out on the proofs and such but compared to how much I’ve searched I know I’m not missing much. Although I did sell all my proofs in one lot and made double the face value on feepay I want silver! Lots of silver! The more I can search the better. Anyone able to drop some knowledge on me would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the effort goes into opening the rolls, not checking for silver. I don't see the point honestly.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the thrill for me personally is opening a roll and seeing the silver shine hard against the copper coins. That never gets old.

Aside, as previously stated, the effort is not in identifying the silver when it comes to halves. It may have some practicality if you are getting loose halves in mass.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
Makes sense. I can usually tells there's silver right away when I open the roll. Probably not worth the effort. I just know that going through a box of cents in 10 min is pretty awesome. Was hoping I could do the same with halves. Just picked up $2,000 so I know what I'll be doing for the next couple hours. :)

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. I can usually tells there's silver right away when I open the roll. Probably not worth the effort. I just know that going through a box of cents in 10 min is pretty awesome. Was hoping I could do the same with halves. Just picked up $2,000 so I know what I'll be doing for the next couple hours. :)
What better way to spend a couple of hours then going through 4 boxes of halves?
Good Luck!

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can go through 4 boxes of halves in less than 30min ??? That's not considering bagging; an extra min or two.
HH!
BRChiver

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking about trying to build something, more for checking for tricky 40%ers and bagging them up.

If I did it would be more for hearig them drop than sorting by weight. Let me know if you come up with something!

I'm with the other guys about the excitment of seeing silver in a roll but I'd hate to miss one:-)

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In two hours I can go through 16 boxes.
Part of the thrill for me personally is opening a roll and seeing the silver shine hard against the copper coins. That never gets old.
So true!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can go through 4 boxes of halves in less than 30min ??? That's not considering bagging; an extra min or two.
HH!
BRChiver

You have to savor it! :) I face check, and that can take a while. Also, people who have to reroll (like me) will have to do this and that takes time too.

We can't all be so lucky to get to hunt in our truck and bag it! ;)

OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
16 boxes in 2 hours! Now that's what I'm taking about! :) I think I'm building me a half hopper set up. Especially after only pulling one 66 and it took me 2 and a half hours. Doh!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Perhaps if you were to buying a bag of coins (dime, quarter or half dollar) off a coin counter (no rolls). Instead of pulling out a handful at a time and checking, you could just pour them.

OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
Unwrapping the rolls doesn't really take that long for me. I use a small pocket knife and cut the end of the roll and it pretty much unwraps itself after that. I think if I do that and dump into a hopper it would be much faster. Don't get me wrong, I love the thrill of pulling silver from a roll. I've been face checking them all for 3 years. Basically it comes down to I need to spend more time with the family but trying to figure out how to take advantage of the opportunity to increase my coins while I can. I’ve found in coin roll hunting there’s no sure thing for these connections.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive been around here for...a little while....and i honestly dont have a clue what youre talking about?? Why would you need all those extra things to go through halves? When you can just look and listen

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have been face checking for 3 years, you dont have the confidence to just rim check to save the time for your family?

Why face check if your only concerned with silver?

If u want my tips on rim checking, check page 11 of the beginners guide.

OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
I understand rim checking but I bet I'd still miss some 40% that way. I'm still thinking that a hopper would be faster. So no one here uses a hopper at all? Are people doing 8 boxes an hour by rim checking?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep... but how can you truly understand something if you dont take the time to learn other peoples methods and tips as well? knowledge never stops unless you want it too.

OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
How many ways can you rim check? Find it hard to believe you can rim check a box in 7 1/2 minutes and not miss something. If I do a rim check and quick sound check I don't think I could go near that fast. I get another load in today. Going to have to start timing myself :)

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many ways can you rim check? Find it hard to believe you can rim check a box in 7 1/2 minutes and not miss something. If I do a rim check and quick sound check I don't think I could go near that fast. I get another load in today. Going to have to start timing myself :)

If you start pushing things too hard it can quickly go from a hobby (fun) to a job (work). JMHO

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

It takes me 4-6 minutes to open all those damn penny rolls in a box, that's why I stopped. A box of haves takes me 3-4 minutes when I'm focused.

I don't understand....

OP
OP
B

beebs88

May 5, 2013
apparently I just thought I unrolled fast. everyone else seems to be able to unroll one in 3 seconds and look through then in 2 seconds. I'm going to need a hopper just to keep up with all you turbo searchers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions