Any opinions on first detector?

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So at Thanksgiving dinner i was talking with my brother in law about detecting. He now wants to get his 14 year old son one for Christmas! He asked my opinion....being fairly new, I figured it best if i reach out to you all. Im thinking a upper end entry level machine. Not too hard to learn but something he can "grow" into & not "out of" so he wont have to replace it in a year. Im thinking Garrett Ace series, Minelab Go Find, Minelab Vanquish, or the Notka Simplex. I think the equinox series would be a bit too complex and take the fun out of the learning process. Im only familiar with the Garrett Ace out of those 4. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the entry level Garrett detectors like the 250 would be a great place to start. I bought one for my son about the same age. You can also pick them up really cheep used as this is what a lot of first time owners buy and quickly upgrade.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are indeed purchasing for Christmas, I'd go with the Garrett 250.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend something waterproof / rainproof, such as Simplex, f22 or Quest x10 if you want something chipper.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let the "complexity" of the Equinox keep you from getting a wonderful machine. There are several turn-on-and-go programs to make starting out simple. Being adjustable, he won't grow out of it any time soon. I've found most 14 year old's today do very well with electronic devices, so, you may be underestimating him and his ability to learn the machine.

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies.

Top Member Reactions