Any personal opinions on the coin shortage

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I have a theory. It is possible that perhaps the powers that be controlling the banks, the High Govt maybe, ordered change to be withheld due to the fact one way disease is spread is thru hard cash. The second part of that would be a halting or slowing of the minting process, Both an attempt to stem the spread of CCV (Chinese Corona Virus).

THe other theory would involve the VALUE of the component Copper nickle etc alloy metals which are increacing in price and making a quarter etc worth much more than a quarter so once again the Mint is retooling the size of our change, changing the percentage of the alloys or perhaps re smelting existing change.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paying by card, phone, smart watch or similar device will slovly reender society to become cash free. Besides, produceing the coins is usually more expencieve than the nominal value of the coin. On the top of this, there is a moment of better control over cash flow wich benefites both, the government and the seller. So yes a cash free enviroment is perhaps a generation away. Non the less, the amounth of coins lost should last for our life time.

The corona virus has little to do with it since alloys used in minting represent unfavoruable enviroment where virus can sustain few hours only.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Who is causing the "shortage"...? WHY is there one...?

Yes my friend! I couldn't have gotten to this age if I didn't always wonder why, and strengthened my defenses in response.

What they gonna do to you & I at this stage?

They'd rather the masses paid no attention.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Cash-less Society" DOES seem to be it... BUT! Be dang if I'm gonna go the ''WATCH" high tech route... #9, #9, #9.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And back to the questions about tipping......

There was a stage when I got into the money, and I tipped well.

Just happened to marry my server at this upper class prime rib house.. We really did care about each other, 3 kids & 20+ years of marriage.

But it did have to end. She was generous with my money, and there came a day when the money wasn't there anymore. She didn't work, but by the end, she went back to work. We only contact each other when it is very important 30 years later.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold was taken away by FDR in '33. You could keep $100 in gold, no more. In '61 the gov't said you can't own gold in foreign countries. Silver taken away by LBJ in '64. Private gold ownership restored by Ford in '74. Our money is backed by good intentions and unicorn farts. Gary
They didn’t “take away” gold back in ‘33. For instance, a family of 4 could legally hold up to 20 T oz’s of gold, quite a lot of gold for a very poor America at the time. Numismatic gold, exempt. Same with jeweler’s gold. There was no door-to-door confiscation as per popular myth. If any (probably very little) was turned in, it was voluntary, and with compensation.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I have a theory. It is possible that perhaps the powers that be controlling the banks, the High Govt maybe, ordered change to be withheld due to the fact one way disease is spread is thru hard cash. The second part of that would be a halting or slowing of the minting process, Both an attempt to stem the spread of CCV (Chinese Corona Virus).

THe other theory would involve the VALUE of the component Copper nickle etc alloy metals which are increacing in price and making a quarter etc worth much more than a quarter so once again the Mint is retooling the size of our change, changing the percentage of the alloys or perhaps re smelting existing change.
Is it really to prevent the spread of CCV, or just plain fear-based propaganda? If CCV disappeared tomorrow, the same amount of flu cases would be spread.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting to think that during the 1790's and 1803 Yellow Fever epidemics in Philadelphia shuttered the first mint and people headed out to the countryside to escape a scourge they didn't understand.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! if you go "nekked", you have NO laundry... DUH! Don't need no stinking quarters.

Last edited:

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
Went to a local CVS today,my total was 20.46...handed 21.00 and was told we cant give you any change?? At first i was floored started thinking of the change in my truck, the line behind me was 3 deep or so..i asked can you round it down the answer was NO...looked said' out of 4 registers ,only one open,you cant give me 54 cents'...NO....I did not want to make a scene so i left......might go back with coffee can full???

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was mentioned briefly in the news Friday that in a town some where for every $100 in coins turned in you'd get an extra $5. They didn't mention the town, so i wonder.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Take 'em to Wal-Mart; wife & I got bills back. They even counted the coins, forget the banks... too many "restrictions" (roll 'em, baby!) :coffee2:8-)

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Woah. Yesterday while standing in line at the store, I watched six people in front of me not only paying cashless, but digitally!

It has begun...
/s

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the gas station the other day, to pick up a $1.00 Lotto ticket. I told the clerk I heard there was a coin shortage, and I was here to help, so I handed him 5 dimes and 50 pennies !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions