any place OFF LIMITS???

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious if there are any adventurous TH'ers out there that completely disregard the laws and go detecting on a whim. I've read a couple on the board just go at it in the middle of the night. Are there any spots that people hold sacred and will not venture across...old homes, abandoned homes, old churches, cemeteries...etc? There are a lot of good spots by me that were well polulated in the 1800's and might turn up some interesting cache, but i am a little skepticle to just go at it. I'll probably just wait until march, when the sun rises early and nobody is really up. I was thinking of just going early in the morning, but this time of year the sun rises at like 7am, and it's likely that you'll catch someone's attention. does anyone think that a 430am hunting session in the summer is better? i will also have a better MD by then(divorce will be over and i'll actually have money again). should i wait or risk it now?

also, on a main road used as far back as 200years, there is some new construction going on and they have unearthed all the soil/sand to build a foundation. Is it worth checking out?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, This is Not a Question That will Get answered here with a Yes.

Simply Because IF anyone here Claims they Break the Law,
even Jokingly

Their Post will Be Deleted. As we at TreasureNet do Not Endorse,

Or Tolerate Members who "tarnish" our Hobby or Reputation as a Whole.

We all Respect the Laws of our Areas.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our Code of Ethics

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner’s permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill any holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I will, as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

OP
OP
Silverhawk

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry. i'm still new to the scene. YOu can just delete this post. I won't ask any more questions of this nature. I did not mean any respect.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chasingadaydream said:
sorry. i'm still new to the scene. YOu can just delete this post. I won't ask any more questions of this nature. I did not mean any respect.

Part of your Question still Deserves a response.

also, on a main road used as far back as 200years, there is some new construction going on and they have unearthed all the soil/sand to build a foundation. Is it worth checking out?

Absolutely !

This sounds like a Great Spot.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
C,

if you don't ask, how will you find out what
folks think.

Think Jeff said it all. I agree.

Some hunters are just making problems for
the hobby. That is why more and more areas
are off limits.

I would check out that area with the road work.

Welcome to the board.

have a good un.................

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Ask away !

Your Questions, Rather then Just Jumping in and Doing it
Are Respected !

I Just made the Statement To answer your Questions.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Chasing,

I have also read about people detecting at night without permission. To me, that is the wrong way to go about it. It will give our hobby a bad name. Just play it safe and obtain permission. As far as sacred areas, I stay out of cemetaries. Just a personal thing. Probably all other areas are okay, at least with me.

As far as the main road, I would check it out. You never know what you will find. After all, they did remove all of the topsoil for you, so if I figure correctly, they have helped you find the deeper targets, that you may not have found.

I hope it has helped. Good luck with the finds.

OP
OP
Silverhawk

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone. I will go by the construction site tomorrow after work and ask. I also work in construction, so i will try to make conversation with the people first, maybe bring them some coffees or something. I'm sure if it's just a bunch of 20 year olds working, they won't have any problem with me detecting. I will post finds as soon as i have anything. thanks again everyone

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always pays to ask permission in my book. I hate looking over my shoulder and wondering who might walk upon me?

OP
OP
Silverhawk

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, i had some cops hassle me last night for parking outside the construction site. I happened to have gotten an important phone call and was sitting there for about a half hour. I did not even get a chance to TH last night and cops ran my plates, asked for my license and let me go after 20 questions. I guess next time, i won't go at 7pm, when it's somewhat dark. I'm gonna hit up that place around 530pm, directly after work. I asked some guy working there if it was okay, and he said no problem, as long as i don't go near the foundation, for safety purposes. I wasn't planning on going more than 8 feet away from the main road anyway.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I ask permission always for hunting farmers fields.
I only go to parks, I have been in before and where the park attendants know me.
I have hunted other places,but I always ask permission first.
The police that check these parks know you are there, don't be fooled..It gets reported by the park attendants,without you even knowing about it...Be honest and don't go where there is no hunting posted with-in the parks or along the boundaries of the park or near any campers spots and their trailers ect...It would set you up for a questioning session by top authorities...You don't want that.When ever you hunt... ask permission..
Now since 911....Anything can be suspicious looking by any passer by-er or land owner. ;)
We have pipe lines behind our place and when I see... ANYONE... who does not belong near them, I find out what they are doing etc and the adjacent owner gets notified also!Thats life now and I don't see it getting better in the future, because of the stuff that has been happening in our world lately.
True story...Think about it please!
We once had some hunters come on our property,during the night,while we where on looking also..I turned the light on our house off and on, while they did not care we knew...they
chased a deer in their truck in our Field,only so many feet from our house,while shooting a gun also..and at the direction of our house too!!!If these guys or anyone would go
that far to put peoples lives in danger ..just think what they would do if they where hunting (Other ways)... without permission...I don't like disrespectful people and no-one now is aloud to hunt or trespass anytime because of it..and our neighbors watch the place daily!
So you can put your self in my shoes and know why people want permission and thats why laws are being passed to keep us from doing the stuff we like...Don't help screw up good fun hobbies by doing unlawful stuff!Period!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread