Any Potential Gold In This Old Pond Bedrock In Shingle Springs?

68Shelby

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
Mud Flat
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my dogs out to a local pond that is right off the side of a major road in Shingle Springs, CA and was wondering if there was any potential gold in the cracks of this bedrock. I tried metal detecting it once with my dogs (which is difficult to do when they're trying to get you're attention to play fetch with them) but didn't have much luck. It's a party spot so it's full of pull tabs and aluminum cans and condom wrappers from the dawn of time. Haven't cracked any rock out there or panned anything though but there's a ton of that red mineralized dirt out there filling the cracks so who knows?

Here's some pics of the area.

pond_Bedrock.jpg pond_Bedrock2.jpg

Upvote 0

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The answer is a couple shovels away. Can I come up and check it out?

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Writings from a book of mine - lumps of gold worth $10,000 dollars in 1883 from the gary mine. Shingle springs has enough write ups
with in 5 miles to garner my interest!

johnnysau

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If that's Tennessee creek East of town it has a history of placer gold, as much of that area does. A lot of pocket gold is found further East and around Eldorado and those deposits have a similar appearance to the one in your picture.

It's probably not prospectable though. Isn't that entire area private property now? I don't see any Federal public lands anywhere near town. Check out the land status and if it is legal to prospect break into that exposure, scrape off the trash and detect the leavings after you run a big magnet through them. Good luck.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal-trans has many laws regulating doing anything by roads as to adjavent AND even subadjacent support so ya better be quite a ways away from the road. Shingle Springs has a great gold history and used to mine my buds factory next to hi way 50 and find great gold. Private property is ez to find out who owns. Simply go to county tax assessors office and info ez to find and contact. Don't tresspass please as then we're all thieves in the news-John

Last edited:
OP
OP
68Shelby

68Shelby

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
Mud Flat
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a whack and report back;-)
Here's a pic of the areas historic gold mines from my iPhone app Geograph CA.
The second one is all the gold mines in the region. The pale yellow (gold) squares are all old gold mines and the other squares are a mixed bag of everything from arsenic to uranium.

IMG_0923.PNG
IMG_0840.PNG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions