Any Redding CA or Shasta co leads

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This old church site would be a great site to detect...
http://www.shastahistorical.org/
Here's another...
Before the days of conditioned air, there were few ways to take the edge off Redding's infamous hot summer days. The swamp cooler wasn't invented until the time of the construction of Shasta Dam. Before the Dam's completion in 1945, the local "Swimming Hole" was the best solution. In Redding, the largest and most popular "Swimming Hole" was under the "Highway" (now Diestelhorst) Bridge.

Bleachers under the first arch, a "kiddie pen" of concrete base and wire fence, a huge swing, an enclosure for a white sand beach and floating platforms made the summer's warm Sacramento waters a popular spot to play. Those most brave dove off high platforms, the bridge and even the light towers! (Don't even think of trying it today.) Evenings often saw summer dances at a concrete platform built by the Diestelhorsts.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
here's more on swim hole....check shoreline all around that area...
. Look in the water and you will see some remnants of the concrete structures. Swimming is unthinkable today because the Sacramento's historically warm summer waters are forever chilled due to its source being the bottom of Shasta Lake and Keswick reservoir.

R

rvbvetter

Yep What Bergie said. I live about 3 1/2 hours from there. He first relayed the story to me, but I have never been able to make it up there. Hope you hit the big one. Let us know how you do.
Also on the south west corner of Burney off 299 there is a big concrete platform way out in the woods. Looks like it could have been a dance flloor. I think it might have had to do with a swimming hole way back when. Until the river changed it's course and got too far away. I used to ride by it on a dirt bike on my way to hunt points (arrow heads) and think how odd it looked being so isolated way out there. If I remember right theres what's left of an old river bed within 50 yds of it. I'm sure the locals could tell you where it's at.
The fair grounds in Mc Arther are old too. I hunted it years ago and got some silver and wheats and a hand made 14 kt gold ring that weighed nearly an ounce and was appraised at a jewelers in Redding at $900.00. And that was in 1982.
HH

S

stefen

Get a book entitled 'Finding Treasures In California' that has some leads for that region.

There is another reference, but I don't have the title readily handy.

Give me a day or so and I will post.

In any event, the book I am thinking about lists by county and as I remember Redding and Shasta may have several hundred possibilities.

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
i am interested in the story about the mormon gold in clear creek. anyone heard of it i only know it says it is in sw redding but there is the swimming hole there that everyone goes to, anyone tried a metal detector there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread