Any reports for Anne Arundel County?

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
It seems that some counties are harder than others for treasure exploring. It seems Maryland, being so conjested, might be a harder place to prospect...at least as far as public lands are concerned. There are many "protected" public lands here of historic importance that limit the territories.

It seems that people are not very eager to tell where they have been finding their treasures on this forum, understandibly, but it would be nice if I could at least get an idea of what "types" of places are yeilding results here in MD. A few hints would be nice. I know the basics, but where generally are you Marylanders hitting paydirt?

I'm in a highly populated area with little to no parks and a lot of state/military/historic restrictions that tend to impede exploration. I just want to do some MDing without getting tossed into the DHS gulag.

Any suggestions that are particular to this area would be appreciated and even possibly rewarded.

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
Hey Dex! Not sure about AA County. Have you checked the Parks & Rec website? I'm in Balto County and hunt mainly schools. Originally from Frederick, so I tend to go there too. Still lots of farms in the area. Just start asking for permission. Some state parks can be hunted, but there are restrictions. Go to the MD state parks website and check it out. There's always fossil hunting at Calvert Cliffs!!! ;) HH!!!!!

OP
OP
Dex

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
Thanks mtbiker,

Yeah, I need to do some more research. What I have found so far is that MD state parks are restricted except ones that have beachs and then places like Calvert Cliffs are off limits to MDing. County parks are probably ok as long as they aren't posted with restriction signs but my AO is pretty meager on parks so I guess I'll just go back to the one I did last week and go deeper into what could be more historical area rather than by the parking lot. Looks like schools are going to be the way to go too.

I'll be in Frederick tomorrow on business but might have a minute to do some quick MDing. Any suggestions that might be near old Frederick? I'll be on the 300 block of Patrick and then head towards the hwy, unfortunately school is in session so I may have to wait to hit a school until this weekend.

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
There's always Baker Park. That's off of Patrick Street. If you're brave, on your way back (I'm assuming you're taking 70E), get off on the Quinn Orchard Road exit. Go through the traffic light and you'll be on Quinn Orchard Road. Keep going and you'll make a left at the stop sign @ the end of the road (that will be Ray Smith Road). You'll come to another stop sign. Make a left. You'll be on Reich's Ford Road. Cross the bridge and on the left will be Pinecliff Park. Total, about 5 miles off of 70. That's always good for some clad. Good luck!!!! :)

OP
OP
Dex

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
Thanks again Mtbiker,

Thats some good intel. I'll see how my day goes and if I can get my arse out of bed early enough and get my biz taken care of early, I might actually have the time to hit one of those places you mentioned. The trick is missing traffic before 3pm back to Anne Arundel county through the beltways.

I appreciate the tips.

Sticks907

Mar 10, 2007
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Dex said:
Thanks mtbiker,

Yeah, I need to do some more research. What I have found so far is that MD state parks are restricted except ones that have beachs and then places like Calvert Cliffs are off limits to MDing. County parks are probably ok as long as they aren't posted with restriction signs but my AO is pretty meager on parks so I guess I'll just go back to the one I did last week and go deeper into what could be more historical area rather than by the parking lot. Looks like schools are going to be the way to go too.

I'll be in Frederick tomorrow on business but might have a minute to do some quick MDing. Any suggestions that might be near old Frederick? I'll be on the 300 block of Patrick and then head towards the hwy, unfortunately school is in session so I may have to wait to hit a school until this weekend.

Dex,
You are NOT allowed to hunt in A.A. county parks... I have been kicked out even though there were no postings saying otherwise. Then I looked it up on the web and found no mention of metal detecting there either.. I have also spent entire days without getting bothered I think it depends on who is patroling the grounds.

There are some areas around.. I'll hit construction sites as soon as they break ground, because shortly after they will put up "No Trespassing" signs and you never know what was there in the past.

I have some old maps of A.A. county if interested. There is a spot just down the road from you I have heard about but have never gone Annapolis Junction. It used to be where all the railroads between Baltimore, Washington and Annapolis would meet.

Good Luck and HH..

Ed.

OP
OP
Dex

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
Sticks907,

Thanks for the input, I would be interested in the railroad area you are talking about.

Whoknows52,

I'm in Odenton, right across the street from Ft Meade on 175 (Annapolis rd)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread