Any Rolex Experts Out There?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Some of my estate sale contacts have a Rolex at their current sale. They said the owner has had this watch since the 50's or 60's. There are a lot of high end items at this sale. Sorry about leaving the hands in front of the writing on the lower part of the dial. It has "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED" printed above "CHRONOMETER". The crown reads "SUPER OYSTER ROLEX". The model number between the lugs above 12 o'clock is 6082 and the serial number between the other lugs is 810695. My research shows it's dated 1952 or 1962. Best I can tell the case is 34mm diameter, 19mm between lugs, & 36 mm from lug to lug. It weighs about 31 grams. I don't have any way to open the back & check the movement. Not sure where I could get it checked but I've done enough business with the sellers that they will refund if I buy & the movement is wrong. I'm looking for authenticity opinions and a value.

IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0666.JPG

Last edited:

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key to identifying any Rolex is to look for perfection. I have never seen a Rolex with any flaws in regards to print, engravings, lettering, etc....they are ALWAYS perfect. You used to be able to tell by the sweep hand movement as well, but fakers have caught up with that trait.

Having said that, I see lots to like about your watch (the stem engraving for example), but I wonder about the letters on the face being faded in areas as well as the non-marked back plate. Even aged and worn, I would expect the lettering to be perfect unless the crystal had been broken at some time allowing some damage to the face to occur.

Any good jewelry store should be able to remove the back plate and tell you right away if the movement is authentic Rolex.

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the backing plates were smooth so forget that observation. I just would never accept a Rolex as real without confriming the movement to be real. There have been Swiss companies out there for years that make excellent replica Rolex watches. They look the part and cost about half of the real thing, but one would be very hard pressed to tell them apart.

More than likely, that is a real Rolex, but always get the backing off and confirm.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the backing plates were smooth so forget that observation. I just would never accept a Rolex as real without confriming the movement to be real. There have been Swiss companies out there for years that make excellent replica Rolex watches. They look the part and cost about half of the real thing, but one would be very hard pressed to tell them apart.

More than likely, that is a real Rolex, but always get the backing off and confirm.

Its China not the Swiss that have knocked off Rolex.

No Swiss company could operate without Rolex catching wind.

Only the best watch makers work for Rolex... the elite group of them are intertwined and word of any forgers would certainly reach Rolex immediately and be thwarted / stopped and prosecuted.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send the serial number to Rolex, and they will verify it.:occasion14:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I am far, far, far, from an expert, but am 99% sure that that is a re-dial and no true collector would have any interest in it. It would be for parts only or someone had the same reference with an over polished case and a good dial, they could be looking for parts.....or someone with a nice case and dial but a movement that was rusted beyond redemption could be looking for a good movement. Just my two cents worth of warning, but again, I am not the expert you are looking for, but that screams re-dial. Good luck.

T.

P.S. The crown looks good and this is not a model that most would bother to counterfeit, as they don't sell for that much in Rolex terms. Check the completed sales on eBay for that 6082 reference and you will see, I believe without checking, you won't see many for over 2K. Oh, and the specimen in question is from '52, definitely not '62

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I am far, far, far, from an expert, but am 99% sure that that is a re-dial and no true collector would have any interest in it. It would be for parts only or someone had the same reference with an over polished case and a good dial, they could be looking for parts.....or someone with a nice case and dial but a movement that was rusted beyond redemption could be looking for a good movement. Just my two cents worth of warning, but again, I am not the expert you are looking for, but that screams re-dial. Good luck.

.....and the specimen in question is from '52, definitely not '62

After I posted I did a little more research. It's my understanding that Rolex model 6082 is a shock resisting manual wind movement and an Oyster Perpetual is an automatic movement. Leads me to conclude that this is at least a redial & possibly a Frankenwatch made up of unmatched parts. Either way the dial doesn't match the case. I got the 1952 or 1962 date from a website. They stated that when serial numbers hit 999,999 in the 50's that Rolex decided to reset back to 100,000 & go from there. No idea how true that is.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a 1952 model. This is a terrible redial. As others have stated the model number doesn’t seem to match the dial description plus the markers and printing are all over the place. Their are red flags all over this one. I would stay clear unless you can get it for couple hundred dollars. it looks to be a real case and I suspect probably contains a good movement but you’re taking a chance site unseen. As others have stated it is probably just a parts watch or a project restoration. In good condition one of these is probably only worth about $1800 so in this condition not so much.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an expert, I just know I found a fake one while detecting one day.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a follow-up to what happened? I’m curious if the watch sold or you bought it. I might be interested in buying it from you as a project watch.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The sellers initially held the watch back but then decided to let it go. I got an early invite to the sale before the watch was added to the sale so I didn't get to see it until I was asked back for the 1/3rd off sale. It was originally offered at $1100. I posted looking for information thinking I might make an offer just over half price. Once I realized it was a redial (best case) I didn't see any way to make enough profit to make an offer. Someone made an offer over 1/2 & bought it.....even after the people running the sale told them it was a redial.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The watch looks good to me. Even the dial. Fairly typical wear which this one has seen a lot of. We have a term called polished to death. The extremely rounded and thinned lugs are tell tale of multiple polishings. This watch never saw its day and one of the least collectible. I would say a good deal is 700 to 1K on the high side. I often see people paying way to much for these at auctions. Always do your homework and seek the advice of a professional! Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread