Any Scoops for Gals?

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
So I've done my due diligence and read through several pages of scoop recommendations. Most of them seem to be made for brawny guys that can carry around their gear, machine and a 6+ lb scoop for most of the day.

I'm 5'3 and mid-age. I can still dig! ;D But... I would like something much less heavy and still durable enough for surf hunting.

Thanks,
Stacey

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck in your quest.
If you find one let me know. Please.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wish I would have done my due diligence. I'm a big strong boy and my 6 pound scoop is too heavy for me. Sandman has made several posts about a nice beach and water scoop. Has a wood handle. Hopefully he sees this and posts the name.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used this scoop for my first year or two. Then I needed a heavy one for use in the surf when I adopted that as my favored hunting area. You can get it from Reilly's. It is really light.

jollywaterscoopbig.jpg

RTG KICK IT ALUMINUM SAND SCOOP (#RTGkick) Our price: $79.95

This new sand scoop is strong enough for beach hunting. It has a fixed 36" long heavy style anodized aluminum handle with a bend at the top into a cane style handle. Comes with a rubber grip for comfort. The aluminum bucket has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop. The bucket of this scoop is .090 gauge aluminum. The bucket of the sand scoop is 5" in diameter by 7" long. There is also an aluminum brace at the meeting place of the handle to the bucket for strength. Overall length of this sand scoop is about 37" long. Made in the U.S.A. by Reilly's Treasured Gold. This scoop weighs less than 2 pounds.

Jack

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh,

Should mention, I still have it and still use it.

Jack

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I was considering something similar to that but wasn't sure if the scoop was large enough. It seems the curved handle would be awkward but perhaps not.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chibuya said:
It seems the curved handle would be awkward but perhaps not.

When I use the PI, I did have to sometimes do several scoops to get the item. My Stainless scoop is also larger.

The curved handle makes it easier when you lean it forward before pushing it into the sand. Only issue is if the plastic handle comes off when you try to pull it back, it causes you to be standing there looking silly.

Jack

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
Good luck in your quest.
If you find one let me know. Please.
montauk3 has stated the whole truth............if u want to soar with the eagles u must fly high
meaning:
90% of the really good tickets are in the wet sand and shallow surf, maybe more than 90%.......if u disire to be proficence in this zone, u must have a sturdy scoop........wheather it be boys or girls here..........the scoop is the key to sucess.

u can whip around with small ones, light weight ones, e t c..............spend much valuable time digging and digging, but when the day is done, without a nice scoop u have waisted much time.

spend the extra money and get a nice forum suggested water scoop and a nice scoop for the dry sand.......there is no one scoop for both areas........some targets in the dry zone.....1 to 4 or 5 inces deep.......surf.........8 to 15inces deep.........providing u are using a first class water machine.....u need two machines also.

good luck..........keep us posted

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a good chance this scoop might work for you, only problem...can you wait.........Sooooooo, After a summer of testing some new changes are being put into this scoop. Changes are a longer nose {one inch} which will be rounded instead of the pointed, more of the traditional style..Plus he has applied for a patent for a weldless design which means the next generation of this scoop can be used in different application, changing of the handles from a fiberglass handle to the hoop scoop handle. And parts can be sent out for warranty if needed instead of sending the complete scoop back for repair and the best thing is he still shooting for a weight of less then 5 pounds, and that's stainless steel. With the scoop design being weldless this throws in the affordability of a titanium being used. That would mean a scoop that is as strong as Stainless steel, and around 4 pounds..Perfect for the Us Old Goats and the ladies

I found the pointed tip nose would sometimes not go where I wanted it when pushing it into the sand, like the Nuttall..and it needed a longer nose which aids in the recovery of the deep targets, ......hopefully with a bit more testing by fellow hunters we can get a final product next spring........One thing I must say, this is a fast drainer, sand is there one second and gone the next......Joe[/size]

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Gravedigger. I've been on this forum for a few years now. More of a watcher than a poster, but I have always enjoyed your posts!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DanFL1962 said:
Wish I would have done my due diligence. I'm a big strong boy and my 6 pound scoop is too heavy for me. Sandman has made several posts about a nice beach and water scoop. Has a wood handle. Hopefully he sees this and posts the name.

I use the Sunspot scoop, the big one. But as soon as Joe has the new one out with the curved handle I will get one. I am no spring chicken myself. There is no one best scoop for all types of bottom material. For the dry sand now I like the screen sifter type but they aren't heavy duty enough for the wet stuff.

Attachments

• Sunspot Scoops.jpg
    Sunspot Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Sunspot Scoops.jpg
    Sunspot Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 536

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Joe,
Who makes it?

Best regards,
Steve

OldeBeechnut said:
There is a good chance this scoop might work for you, only problem...can you wait.........Sooooooo, After a summer of testing some new changes are being put into this scoop. Changes are a longer nose {one inch} which will be rounded instead of the pointed, more of the traditional style..Plus he has applied for a patent for a weldless design which means the next generation of this scoop can be used in different application, changing of the handles from a fiberglass handle to the hoop scoop handle. And parts can be sent out for warranty if needed instead of sending the complete scoop back for repair and the best thing is he still shooting for a weight of less then 5 pounds, and that's stainless steel. With the scoop design being weldless this throws in the affordability of a titanium being used. That would mean a scoop that is as strong as Stainless steel, and around 4 pounds..Perfect for the Us Old Goats and the ladies

I found the pointed tip nose would sometimes not go where I wanted it when pushing it into the sand, like the Nuttall..and it needed a longer nose which aids in the recovery of the deep targets, ......hopefully with a bit more testing by fellow hunters we can get a final product next spring........One thing I must say, this is a fast drainer, sand is there one second and gone the next......Joe[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7gRygeYoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pyl44HeZuE

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend, fellow hunter, A Engineering technician who has all the resources, who is in charge of pulling projects together for his company, Private and Government contracts...here in Baltimore.......................He plans on getting about 300 units made up by spring, but he still has 2 reversions and 2 more hunters too give us some feed back, which should be by the first of the year...One in Alantic city, and the other is a hunter in Florida to kinda mix up the feed back and different hunting conditions. When the next generation weldless design comes out, it will be tested also, No details on that......other then a patent has been applied for............Price, I'm not sure, he had talked about 160, with fiberglass handle, at less then 5 pounds........the 4 pound scoop Titanium, under 300 ?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
OldeBeechnut said:
I have a friend, fellow hunter, A Engineering technician who has all the resources, who is in charge of pulling projects together for his company, Private and Government contracts...here in Baltimore.......................He plans on getting about 300 units made up by spring, but he still has 2 reversions and 2 more hunters too give us some feed back, which should be by the first of the year...One in Alantic city, and the other is a hunter in Florida to kinda mix up the feed back and different hunting conditions. When the next generation weldless design comes out, it will be tested also, No details on that......other then a patent has been applied for............Price, I'm not sure, he had talked about 160, with fiberglass handle, at less then 5 pounds........the 4 pound scoop Titanium, under 300 ?

Looks narrow? gotta B at least 9+ inches wide & more re enforcement on the back foot pad. With all those holes it will cave with a lot of heavy digging. I have bent the foot pad on the Mike from MI scoop which is a lot more re enforced but then again I hunt year round 4-6 days a week. Bottom line is it can't B light and sturdy at the same time. Maybe titanium will hold up but then again I can buy 2 new regular SS scoops for the price of 1 titanium
I really fail to see the difference between a 4, 5 or a 6 pound scoop if U R hunting the water. I have a ring screwed in the end of the handle and a bungee tether that lets the scoop drag/float (wood handle) behind me until I need it. Only time I carry it is from the truck to the water and back. I use the large Sun Spot Stealth with my own wood handle

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[quote author=OldeBeechnut link=topic=356098.msg2552221#msg2552221 date Changes are a longer nose {one inch} which will be rounded instead of the pointed, more of the traditional style..

joe

I would not stop at just 1" on the length........u have a kinda long top and as it is now, as u know, the top is now being pushed into the sand trying to get deep...........nice looking scoop for sure, but i would think at least 2 more inches on bill.

after using the wooden handled scoops now .......o m g..............i could never even consider anything else FOR WATER HUNTING.

mho only

please keep us posted on this fine ticket.

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the posts. If someone has an extra used scoop - Reilly, Sunspot or Nuttall they would like to sell, please let me know.

Stacey

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
my scoop.
lightweight model ''5granik" Weight = 1,87 lb and ''evroekskavator" v.5 Weight = 2,02 lb
My website www.stavrscoop.com

Attachments

• 5-granik-f-1024.jpg
    5-granik-f-1024.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 586
  • 5-granik-f-1024.jpg
    5-granik-f-1024.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 371
  •     evroexcavator v.4 .jpg
    evroexcavator v.4 .jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 527

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't agree with wide... learn how to PP. I want a long sniper scoop... deep and precise. I already broke the basket and snapped a handle on a RTG, but their royal is long and narrow.
MD8-29-10095.jpg

This is after I cut it off... I'm not bustin their yam sack. I slipped a larger Dia tube on their and welded it up. But coming the cold months with gloves... a T handle is a necessary!!!!. I did this before I left this weekend, I know it will be a lil more work in the fab, but man what a difference it makes...
PA070116-1.jpg

I'm tough on a scoop if some one need a tester... (Shameless Plug...) :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread