any scrap yards in NoVA?

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC
I've never been, but I believe that Potomac Metals is in all of Manassas, Springfield and Sterling. I go either to Montgomery Scrap in Rockville or Joseph Smith and Sons on Kenilworth Avenue. Good luck.

KW

OP
OP
I

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
kittywitty said:
I've never been, but I believe that Potomac Metals is in all of Manassas, Springfield and Sterling. I go either to Montgomery Scrap in Rockville or Joseph Smith and Sons on Kenilworth Avenue. Good luck.

KW

KW, I went to MScrap too, but never to the other place. How do their prices compare? Do they have the same range of things they accept?

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC
Prices are better at Joseph Smith and Sons, but the traffic is bad. I stopped going when I spent 2 hrs on the Southwest freeway one Saturday morning earlier this year. At Montgomery Scrap the people help you unload. They don't at Joseph Smith.

Also at Montgomery Scrap I've noticed that unless you call and ask prices, then bring the prices with you you'll get the "computer's" price, which is lower. At Joseph Smith, there's no funny business that way. Ask for Paul German when you call for prices. He is a good guy. Just wish that the traffic was easier on the way.

KW

OP
OP
I

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
kittywitty said:
Prices are better at Joseph Smith and Sons, but the traffic is bad. I stopped going when I spent 2 hrs on the Southwest freeway one Saturday morning earlier this year. At Montgomery Scrap the people help you unload. They don't at Joseph Smith.

Also at Montgomery Scrap I've noticed that unless you call and ask prices, then bring the prices with you you'll get the "computer's" price, which is lower. At Joseph Smith, there's no funny business that way. Ask for Paul German when you call for prices. He is a good guy. Just wish that the traffic was easier on the way.

KW

I think JS&S have a satellite operation in College Park on Greenbelt Road close to where it turns into Univ Blvd. I tried to contact Paul German several times but could not reach him and he did not call back. When I called the CP place, I got someone right away but they told me that they will not give me prices for more than 2-3 items over the phone. If I wanted more, I would have to stop by. I think traffic-wise this might be a better location. By the way, the prices I did get for a couple of things were better than at MontScrap which I also got over the phone.

I might go there within the next couple of weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread