Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Question. I have new Items that are "open box". I check to make sure all contents are there, then tape the box back shut.

After reading Ebays definition of "new", I'm a little confused. It gives the definition" a new unopened box........." then at the very end states "see sellers listing for details". Is the last sentence "see sellers listing for details" the gray area? As long as I say the box was opened?

Not all categories give the "New-other" option.

Anyone sell in the new category? Has there been any problems selling as "new" if the box has been opened to inspect contents then taped back shut. Also, an Item can be "New" in an open box. It's not "used" because the box was opened.

Anyone with experience in this and the "rules"? Before I keep listing and end up in the wrong. :laughing7:

I'm straight forward with my listings and do say that the items were inspected then taped back shut. So there is no question about it in my description. I just don't want to use "used" when they are "new" items, in an opened, then taped back shut box.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Question. I have new Items that are "open box".
I check to make sure all contents are there, then tape the box back shut.

I wouldn't hesitate to call that a new item.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't hesitate to call that a new item.

I've been doing it that way, but just noticed their definition and thought...."Ohh crap! Then started thinking. Where can this bite me along the way." Just trying to think ahead before there is an issue. :laughing7:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Everything I sell is marked as "used" even items that are still sealed. In the section on condition I state if the box is sealed, open, whatever. I don't have any problem getting the average selling price for new items that have been opened even though I sell as used.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I sell is marked as "used" even items that are still sealed. In the section on condition I state if the box is sealed, open, whatever. I don't have any problem getting the average selling price for new items that have been opened even though I sell as used.

Ok...That is good to know. I just started this type of thing and didn't want to misrepresent or list wrong, but they are new items.

Their definition of "new" is pretty straight forward until...That last sentence. That got me wondering if that was the Exception, as long as it was mentioned in the listing.

If it's obviously used I put it as used.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
My goal is to eliminate any issues possible. I don't want someone to start a return because I said it was a new item & the box shows shelf wear.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I list in the description something along the way of >>> I could have listed the item as new however I listed the item as used because I open the package to verify all items were still in new condition.

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had this problem once and it bit me. I always choose New(other) for such items and I had some vintage candles (Catholic blessed candles in the box) and it would only let me choose New or Used. I debated and chose New because they were still in the original box and had never been lit and the first word in the title and description was "Vintage". I just couldn't see putting "used" on candles as it makes it sound like they have been burned or sitting in candleholders collecting dust.
Anyway to wrap this up a woman bought them, said they were described as "new" and looked "used", said they didn't look like the photos, and wanted a refund. They were identical to the photos and 40+ years old. Come on lady.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had this problem once and it bit me. I always choose New(other) for such items and I had some vintage candles (Catholic blessed candles in the box) and it would only let me choose New or Used. I debated and chose New because they were still in the original box and had never been lit and the first word in the title and description was "Vintage". I just couldn't see putting "used" on candles as it makes it sound like they have been burned or sitting in candleholders collecting dust.
Anyway to wrap this up a woman bought them, said they were described as "new" and looked "used", said they didn't look like the photos, and wanted a refund. They were identical to the photos and 40+ years old. Come on lady.

That's what I don't want to happen. I don't accept returns, unless a mistake by me, listing error, or they want to return before I ship(which happened in the past, once). I don't want to give any reasons for a return. I know Ebay wants everyone to accept returns but to me that's kind of dumb and could be a problem depending on the category. If the buyer can't see the item well, or doesn't have enough info? They should ask questions, for more pictures, or not buy the item.

Thanks everyone that has posted so far. I think I'll start doing some or all of what was suggested in the above posts.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Truth is if someone is a skank & wants to return something all they have to do is check the box stating item not as described or fake/counterfeit and eBay will force you to take the return. if they don't get you that way they can always go through PayPal for a return for almost any reason. I offer a 30 day return policy to keep my Top Rated Seller status and the fee reduction that goes with it. I don't have many returns and look at the ones I do as part of the cost of doing business.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 44 year old lock on feeBay right now and listed as NEW.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132462758217
Basically it is new, still in the box and never used. Also I am asking $650. If I said used people might just skip it at $650. I have had over 350 hits so far. Used go $50 to $60
Even got a lowball offer of $150. He didn't get it. ;)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 44 year old lock on feeBay right now and listed as NEW.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132462758217
Basically it is new, still in the box and never used. Also I am asking $650. If I said used people might just skip it at $650. I have had over 350 hits so far. Used go $50 to $60
Even got a lowball offer of $150. He didn't get it. ;)

New in box? I see no box in those photos.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the type of item, I will list it either way. In my listings, with open boxed items that appear new but may have been displayed on a shelf for years or something, I'll list it as such. If it's a vintage item that is still carded or factory sealed, I'll list it as new. Most items you can safely open to check the contents and some you can't because it will ruin the packaging. If you think about it, box stores sell items that have been opened and taped shut all the time. Cyberdan's would be considered "New old stock".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread