ANY STORIES FROM NAVY OR NASA PEOPLE STATIONED AT THE CAPE?

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY STORIES FROM NAVY OR NASA PEOPLE STATIONED AT THE CAPE?

i AM WONDERING IF ANYONE HASPOSTED ANYTHING OVER THE YEARS CONCERNING THE NASA/NAVY SPECIAL AREA OFF OF THE CAPE THAT IS OFF LIMITS.SEEMS TO ME THERE COULD PLAUSIBLY BE AN EX-NAVY/NASA PERSON IN HERE BY NOW WITH SOME STORIES ABOUT THE NAVY FINDING CANNONS INSTEAD OF ROCKET PARTS WHEN THEY WERE RECOVERING OR DRAGGING OR ANY STORIES LIKE THAT.i KNOW THERE IS ALOT OF STUFF ON THE BOTTOM IN THIS AREA BUT I WONDER IF IT HAS BEEN CATALOGUED AT ALL OVER THE YEARS BY THE NAVY OR NASA...I ALSO WONDER IF ANY ARTIFACTS HAVE SURFACED OVER THE YEARS AMIDST ALL THE CONSTRUCTION AROUND THE CAPE SINCE ITS INCEPTION.ANY STORIES LIKE THESE WOULD BE REAL GEMS IF THEY EXIST.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: ANY STORIES FROM NAVY OR NASA PEOPLE STATIONED AT THE CAPE?

There is some good information about the Cape area in the Tommy Gore/Terry Armstrong book, Rainbow Chasers.

I have personally talked to an ederly gentleman who worked at the cape in the late 1950's-early 60's, and he told me stories of the gold bars, coins and other artifacts they found while developing the launch pads, runways and NASA complex, as well as numerous indian mounds that were looted and destroyed.

There are definitely shipwrecks all around the cape.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I've had good luck just calling NASA and asking. A while back I spoke to a guy in the Office of Space Science and he was very helpful. He's not even stationed at the Cape, and he was able to help me find what I was looking for.

In the book Mad4 mentions, they give reference to a treasure hunter taking down a sub watch tower because it marked a dune that yeilded a lot of Spanish silver. When NASA bought the property, the area became off limits, and they tore down all of the remaining towers, only leaving one for display. Craig found an original map of the property with all the towers marked, and we matched it up with a document detailing where towers were removed, and we knew where the missing tower (and dune) were located.

I can't do anything with this info right now, but I have it on file in case the opportunity ever presents itself, and yeah, it'd make a pretty good marker for a place to look for a wreck too. :D

Good luck.

Jason

OP
OP
Silvestri

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmm..interesting stuff indeed...you never know...lost treasure ships sure do spread the loot around and people from the Ais to early settlers to NASA construction engineers and off-duty astronauts have probably pocketed some gold over the years...Even if I had the money to buy some gold reale off of Ebay..it would pale to the thrill of finding something in a dune or slot of the Treasure Coast.I will have to do some digging into Merritt island history as well...I used to live on a small houseboat in the Titusville marina in the late 90's and in those days I still thought most of the treasure ships we're south of Melbourne though I had heard of silver and gold coins being found around the Cape...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have all the data when NASA searched for the remains of the challenger shuttle.Its a hidden website address on NASA's website.I found it searching for new technology.Ill see if i can find it on my back up cd's.It would take you 2 weeks to read all thier data,theres maps,cords,pics.They found shipwreck stuff.They logged and recorded everything.One thing that i thought was funny,was at a 1000 ft depth,they found a beer can.They used sidescan and cameras and im sure a few other things that we dont even know about yet.

OP
OP
Silvestri

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Fisheye,

Those files might make for some interesting reads....your tax dollars at work...looking forward to you posting it if you can ...thanks

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

I have magged that area extensively with lots of "hits", those we dove on were all junk NASA stuff. Found rocket just outside the 3 mile limit (at least that what we figured it was at the time). Amelia filed for a lease out there when the security zone was lifted, and was turned down. I ended up with a list from NASA of every piece of junk in about a 5 mile area. Every thing from cargo doors, rolls of cable, booster parts to 5 gal. buckets. Every item was dove on and reported.
Yep, I would say there is also treasure out there but I don't see the Gov't. giving permission to look in the 3 mile state limit.

Back from Fiji, great diving

Diverlynn

Attachments

• fiji dive.jpg
    fiji dive.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 351

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Care to share that report from NASA? :wink:

Is that an underwater "L" in the picture...for Lynn??

Welcome back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread