Any suggestions for hard digging

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I recently got permission at an old fairground in TN and I have hunted it a total of about 8 hours and found some wheaties, buffalo, v-nickel and silver dimes, not to mention clad. The problem I am having is 4" - 6" layer of packed gravel under 1" of topsoil. I sprang my wrist trying to dig through this stuff. I have tried a mini-pick which works fine but will only dig down 3" - 4" before the handle hits the side of the hole. I don't want to go in with a large grubbing hoe or pick. I don't think that would look good to people with the Fair. I have a lesche shovel which I can jump on, I'm 250 lbs. and it will not go in the ground. I have a lesche trowel and one gravel at a time is all I can pick out. SLOW GOING to say the least. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
That IS some tough digging! Got to watch not to hit your coin/target with the pick.Try after a good rain.

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What seems to work for me is a heavy bladed screwdriver you can "stab the ground and get it loosened up then scrape the looses dirt away til ya get down to what you are looking for .

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
John37115,

I'm understanding what your situation is and really don't have a good answer per se for you, but thought I would throw the following thread topic out to you:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,93522.0.html

I bought one of these monsters from the company in Tulsa, OK and have had good digging leverage with it. They offer 2 (?) styles. I can honestly say it is a brute when it comes to hard digging. I carry this bad boy along with my Lesche digger, both have given me my money's worth.
HH,
Mel

borninok

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an old military Kabar from Viet Nam i use and pick it a bit at a time but it works.

R

robert roy

Yea, the gravel is a real pain. I use a screw driver to loosen up the dirt and rock but usually I just avoid the stuff like the plague. Everytime I see gravel at aplace I want to MD I just cringe! :'(
Robert roy

A handy digging tool.

Attachments

• pACE-964797reg.jpg
    pACE-964797reg.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 181
  • pACE-964797reg.jpg
    pACE-964797reg.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Thanks guys for all the help, some great ideas. I have one of those slide hammers for splitting firewood. I never thought about trying that. I think I'll give my wrist a week to heal and go at i again.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I use a small matox pick or a prospectors pick to hack open the rock hard ground here. You can see a fair selection of prospectors picks at prospectors depot dot com.

HH and gold luck.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an ice pick in those rocky areas...found over 400 coins in em too

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well John, the ground here in SATX is really hard in most places (granite) . We use a couple of different tools, 1) a long bladed flat screw driver, also we have a tool that we bought on-line that's supposed to dig hard ground also. We are trying to find a small hammer/pick to dig up the ground here. got a few blisters trying to dig up deep signals... >:(

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell you what works great........a Estwing 22 oz hammer! That's right........while I was a framing carpenter we would often use a hammer claw to dig a trench to get a form board down. Works great. I guess one draw back is if you hit the coin (target) you risk damage to it. I hunt at a fair ground that has about a 4 inch layer of small white shell and the hammer claw does wonders bursting Through then I use my shovel once Ive broken through.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I keep an old mason's hammer in the car. The type they use to chisel and break the brick or block with. I have often used it in hard to dig areas where I needed a small pick. I also keep a large old screwdriver with me that I have had to use the hammer on to drive it in to loosen the same type of hard packed gravel in a few spots I have been at.
I had a signal at 6" for a solid Quarter and knew it was going to be hard to dig but just knew I had to. At 6" I got a silver Wash. nothing great but it was a silver. But seemed like I had to dig a mile in the hard pack. Between the hammer and screwdriver I got it.

Just my style
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread