Any suggestions on things you might of done differently on this hunt and with the CTX

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting recently at a place in the foothills that a farmer has let bikers stay for free for the last 5 decades. This is located relatively close to the frog jump.

This area is possibly the most trashy I have ever seen in my 15 years of metal detecting. It seems they have had lots of bonfires where the source of fuel were rubber tires. There is steel from the steel belted tires everywhere. The farmer also mows this area with a big commercial trimmer and this has scattered bits and pieces of aluminum cans through out the entire site. This is not to mention the trash from 5 decades of bikers partying.

I was discriminating pretty heavily, as I was not sure how long I would have access to this property. I had the 6 inch coil and was using the standard pattern 1, along with only digging targets that had relatively high conductivity ids i.e. above 38. My thinking was to hit the low hanging fruit and then refine my discrimination once the area was covered, if time allowed.

I was just curious if anyone else would of had a different approach or suggestion for this situation just.?

=================================================

I am also just curious if anyone is digging numbers below 10.01 where the second number is no where near the 30s? I guess I should add this is excluding beach type hunts as most dig everything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't have a 3030 yet, your thinking is sound since you don't know how long you may detect there. You have a smaller coil for separation between trash and possible treasure and going for the high tones could get some silver. The trouble is with the gold rings which are in the pull tab range. If you feel like it use a bayonet type knife to jam it into the pull tab ring and pop it out of the ground to see if it is indeed gold. Don't dig pull tabs as you will be ready for a nap soon. Good Luck,

Sandman:hello:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to decide what the site is likely to have in the way of good targets. If it's old silver coins, I'd run the detector in two tone ferrous and your current 38 and up numbers.....maybe even 40 and up if you start finding junk at the 38 level. You can forget the gold if you don't want to dig trash.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Download the Gone hunting settings and run that. I would probably run it on fast response and High trash. Also, detect at different angles and barely move the coil between the signals. Literally, wiggle it back and for no more than an inch when you get a good sounding "chirp". Nails will chirp sometimes, so try and target the relatively repeatable signals. Nails don't run all that stable, especially at two different detecting angles.

I will occasionally dig all the higher tones, reading in the 12/40+ range, but Indian Head pennies read close to zinc pennies and I have had nickels run stable at 11/15-18 before, so definitely dig repeatable 12's and down to 11's as well. I will find a lot of aluminum tokens that read in the low 12's. Gold will run in the lower 12's.

Example: I found a WWI aluminum dog tag that read like can slaw today.

Oh, and take full advantage of that 6" coil. I have found silver coins right next to the concrete curbs, tree roots and steel fences that were missed by other coils.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the responses I will use them if this situation ever pops up again. I will also use some of this on some of my more trashy hunts coming up. It was an interesting hunt. The property turned out to be 32 acres and even had a 7 acre pond (which we did not get a chance to search) as we did not bring any of that type gear. We had four people and a day and a half to search. We had no real history of the property other then the biker stuff and a general vicinity. We had to meet up with him and follow him to the place.

I ended up getting access to this property by a weird set of circumstances. It happen when I was detecting on a friends piece of property and I get stopped by the sheriff and an I rate land owner claiming I was on his property. I ended up showing the sheriff and land owner my map and the makers I was using from the engineers that surveyed the adjacent property.

I pointed out that it looked to me like the property line ran differently then he remembered and that he actually had a larger piece of land then he thought. At this point he turned very thankful and mentioned he has property that might be good for Metal detecting and said I could used his property for the weekend.

We also did not come close to finishing this area and hopefully we will get a second chance.

Ohh the finds were not bad for the four of us
1. 50 $ in clad (my wife and I 18 ish)
2. 12 Silver Rings (3 for us, Actually one small toe ring for me two nice rings for her)
3. 2 silver Washington quarters (none for us)
4. Scrap metal and Aluminum cans 170$ Owner asked If I could haul that stuff out with my truck.
5. 10k Gold Biker pin (not us)

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to decide what the site is likely to have in the way of good targets. If it's old silver coins, I'd run the detector in two tone ferrous and your current 38 and up numbers.....maybe even 40 and up if you start finding junk at the 38 level. You can forget the gold if you don't want to dig trash.

Thank You I will look into the right away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread