Very happy with mine. No complaints.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If she is planning on hunting in the salt surf it is a great machine... but understand that it will ID EVERYTHING including bobby pins and iron - and it will find it all deep. I love mine.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it?
2 replies?
My girl is bummed.
heh.
Welp.
She had an Excal 2 with custom belt.
But that required it to be "attached" to her.
and the discrim knob etc..
On her IDX she has "trigger" which she liked much more etc.
Her whites is getting older... and has seen a lot of salt...
It's days are numbered.
She is digging "bow Tie" holes due to falsing.
GOPR0076-1.jpg

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's it?
2 replies?

What else do you want to know? I agree with Mr. Current - it finds everything, and deep. Your gal will be doing a lot of digging, but thats a good thing, it will keep her butt from getting big.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She already digs everything...
I though about hooking the Pulse to her...
and hand her a shovel.
NOW she will dig... heh:)

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine works great where I use it. Like Eddie said hunting "salt surf" and high mineralization it's great. You can pretty much set it up and go and dig everything. For the price you can't go wrong. It is a bit heavy and can wear you down so if you go with it you should consider buying or making a straight shaft you will appreciate it much more.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine works great where I use it. Like Eddie said hunting "salt surf" and high mineralization it's great. You can pretty much set it up and go and dig everything. For the price you can't go wrong. It is a bit heavy and can wear you down so if you go with it you should consider buying or making a straight shaft you will appreciate it much more.

Is the box able to be set back ?
From pics of it... it appears so.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. There are several holes to adjust positions. I had mine set up behind my wrist below my forearm. It seams to be balanced best here for me. That's where I found it most comfortable with the original shaft. The box is a little awkward and a bit heavy but built to take a lot. I made a straight shaft and moved it further back near my elbow. This set up is more ergonomically correct but puts the coil out in front of me a little further. It doesn't take long to get used to the feel and the better balance makes a huge difference.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a friends sand shark, a while back and in between excal repairs. What a kick butt machine!
I found one of my best gold and diamonds finds with that machine, along with every bobby pin, off the east coast! :laughing7:

LOVE the sand shark! :notworthy:
Dead heat of summer, what else better ya got to do, than lumber in the water, and finds stuffs? :icon_scratch:
I'm pretty partial to my Excals, though (Water Cat and Fluffy) Yes, I named them, too. :laughing7:

(eta: I got the excals set on a straight shaft, much better handling! The sand shark, was the factory shaft.)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a friends sand shark, a while back and in between excal repairs. What a kick butt machine!
I found one of my best gold and diamonds finds with that machine, along with every bobby pin, off the east coast! :laughing7:

LOVE the sand shark! :notworthy:
Dead heat of summer, what else better ya got to do, than lumber in the water, and finds stuffs? :icon_scratch:
I'm pretty partial to my Excals, though (Water Cat and Fluffy) Yes, I named them, too. :laughing7:

(eta: I got the excals set on a straight shaft, much better handling! The sand shark, was the factory shaft.)

I bought her a brand new Excal 2 pre -release...
I have invented custom made holders... zero weight.
I sold hers for 700...
She did not like the dicrim knob.
And sounds.
SO... she went back to the IDX pro and works dry sand.
:/
MAchine is getting old now... been through hell and back.
I thought she would like something that still pulls everything... but will handle the salt better.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm sorry that I missed that sale. I would like to get a nice Excal at a great price. They're great machines too. I don't want to get in a pissing match with anyone about Excal's and SS's. I believe that it's about the user and technique. The guy I used to hunt with used an Excal and we learned a lot from each other. Our techniques were very similar. Some days he kicked mine and some days I kicked his. I will say this though, I have heard and read that some say that SS's are only good in the water or wet/moist sand and some of my best finds came from the towel line and Frisbie/volleyball areas. My friend never seemed to do so well in the dry sand but that may have just been luck on my part.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other thing you haven't asked is which coil size? I like the 8 for water hunting and 10.5 or larger for wet sand strolling. Both will hit deeper than you want to dig sometimes.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm sorry that I missed that sale. I would like to get a nice Excal at a great price. They're great machines too. I don't want to get in a pissing match with anyone about Excal's and SS's. I believe that it's about the user and technique. The guy I used to hunt with used an Excal and we learned a lot from each other. Our techniques were very similar. Some days he kicked mine and some days I kicked his. I will say this though, I have heard and read that some say that SS's are only good in the water or wet/moist sand and some of my best finds came from the towel line and Frisbie/volleyball areas. My friend never seemed to do so well in the dry sand but that may have just been luck on my part.

Um... the one I run now is #3... heh.
I paid $2500 for pair upfront as they hit U.S waiting list>...
Sold the other one 1000.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hers was ... in need of send in. that's why.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was no "loss" in investments :)

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I was wondering about the big price difference. Sounds like money isn't an issue buying a SS. Some people like 'me and some don't like anything else. I don't think that you would have a problem reselling if your girl doesn't like it.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already talked w/ Chris @ Kco.. Friday and talked with him about it etc...
Told em I would talk with her etc... and maybe call Mon...
I wished I had gotten a bit more response to this thread for her decision.
She liked what Pattekat and others had to say...
But was like that's all the people who have used em ?
so

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if my replies helped but I hope so. I was out of town and have been busy since I've been back and just saw your post this morning.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Tesoro products. I'll be adding a Sand Shark to my arsenal before I go to Myrtle. I'm the kind of guy who digs everything anyway. Its not like its difficult with a scoop. I just bought a hybrid Stealth, which is a sweet addition. My RTG will be on standby!

ARRC, I wish my old lady was into it like yours. Man, that would really be sweet. She will do some of the stuff I like to do like fishing, shooting, and stuff like that, but she never gets fervid about it like I want her to be. She's always a shoulder-shrugger, preferring to go, "eh," instead of show enthusiasm. Now if I were to say, "Honey, lets go take a drive to any cemetery you want, and spend some time doing genealogy, she'd be ecstatic.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Buckwheat likes Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions