old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Tammy, but it is a naturally weathered stone. Your persistence is admirable, just keep at it and soon you will find an awesome artifact. It takes diligence and lots of hours sometimes to find artifacts here in the northern mountain states to find artifacts. It is not like back in some of the eastern states where you can find a multitude of artifacts in one general area. Out here the Natives were more diverse traveling from place to place searching for game. If you can find an area where they may have camped and where they may have hunted for game be sure to check them out. Look for areas up high along creeks and rivers where they may have camped and hunted. Check out the top of draws and cooulees that lead down towards the creek bottom. If you are searching in a more mountianous area, search the saddles between two draws. This is a good area where they would have ambushed game and is also a good spot for camp sites. Again, just keep at it and sooner or later you will find something memorable.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock, it is your namesake, sorry, just a rock..

Upvote 0

Tammy Lee

May 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Ky Look up Backusburg Mounds Calloway County Ky It is right down the road or river from me There are several mounds here My stepdad was Indian My Little Big Brother from Another Mother is 3/4 Comanche My great great great grandmother was full blooded Chickasaw Hell my water here comes from an artesian well I grew up, not running around town, but running and playing in the woods and on Blood River My brother's and I were called The River Rats because we were always out doing something on the water Need a good fishing net - handmade- cause I can flat make one My 3 kids grew up backwoods camping with me every weekend. I live in an excellent area for artifacts One of the best places around It has always, always been a passion for me I just never had the time It is my time now and I intend to take full advantage of it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I found this and the big knarley hammer stone together. The Knarley one, I think is older than the the round flat one. And I did find it in what appeared to be a living area. Same tool Shapes but different sizes. Not every tool is flaked, If you Zoom in on this you will see that it has been altered. I Live on a Reservation and I have Natives giving me their input as well.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever Native American told you that was anything other than a common rock was mistaken.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok well I am done on this forum Not every tool is pretty and lint, Tools were pecked and smoothed to fit the bill. Its been great fun.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That still doesn't change the fact that none of the ones you've posted are tools.. And they don't show any signs of pecking or any other type of man-made manufacturing marks

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see a tool that would be reused or any sign of manufacturing.
Outside of knapped stone that shows obvious deliberate patterned fractures the rare exception has been a polished slate that was very obvious in its purpose.
Your pics could include views of edges but this item is just lookin like a rock.
Don't take offence at replies. Every one would be happy to see you keep at searching.
You'll know when your holding a worked piece in time.
A stone used for pounding or a single use would want a context with it too. While some hammer stones undoubtedly were unworked, their selection was centered around not getting blistered or pinched.
Keep looking. Swing till ya hit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok well I am done on this forum Not every tool is pretty and lint, Tools were pecked and smoothed to fit the bill. Its been great fun.

That's true. Many tools were pecked and ground into shape. You can easily see the pecking on this ground hardstone adze. Your rock, on the other hand, shows no pecking, no grinding, nor does it show any usage as a tool. People here are extremely experienced, and you'll get the same responses on any artifact forum. You came to the right place. But you're taking a stance that means you won't take advantage of the opportunity to learn. Folks here are not steering you wrong. You are making a mistake. It's your's to make, but you were getting truthful and helpful answers here. If you stick with the hobby, you're bound to discover that fact sooner or later.....

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All rocks. Moving to rock forum.

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
That double grooved ("adze" you say) is sweet! I can't see the bit well enough, I would have called it an axe. Going by the photo angle. Regardless, nice! Nice! Nice!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread