Any thoughts on M6 ?

Willy

I haven't used the M6, but I did have an MXT for a couple of years. From what I can see, the MXT is the way to go. The M^ is, more or less, a stripped down MXT with tones. The MXT is a much more flexible detector; all you gotta do is check out the specs. Just the AM mode, with the added frills, is more than worth the extra $'s. ...Willy.

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro
Basically the m6 is the little brother to the mxt. You lose the relic and prospecting mode on the m6 for 90 bucks step up to the mxt if you can swing it.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
allanw23 said:
Basically the m6 is the little brother to the mxt. You lose the relic and prospecting mode on the m6 for 90 bucks step up to the mxt if you can swing it.

But, you also get the latest in ground tracking and 7 tone ID that the MXT doesn't have. It's also alot quieter on the ears. No back ground threshold buzzing.

Attachments

• Whites M6.jpg
    Whites M6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 611
  • Whites M6.jpg
    Whites M6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 610

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy is right. The ground tracking circuit is the same on both detectors. Whites just added more tones to the M6 and diff. decals.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The M6 uses the same frequency as the DFX and the MXT,14kHz. The higher frequency is what makes it able to prospect, or find gold. The M6 has the ability to locate gold, it just doesn't have the ID on the display.

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
So there are not that many differences for 5 years of technology improvement?

Both have beach and Auto-Trac because the ground tracking is the same, and they both use the same freq., and have similar discrimination. How about the circuitry? Response time and all that?

MXT has Relic mode, but how different is that from its own Coin mode other than the different VDI labels? How different is it from the M6 coin mode?

I am not sure if the 14kHz is what makes a machine prospect or not, but the MXT does provide a % iron indicator when in prospecting mode and the Self adjusting threshold (SAT). So if that is important, then the M6 won't be able to compete with the MXT on that level.

When in Coin mode, the MXT has the Pull Tab Notch. Obviously a predecessor to notch discrimination IMHO. Is that from +27 to +49 VDI?

The M6 has the newer feature of tone ID. (I would not consider the MXT's "two tone Relic mode" a tone ID feature, but I guess some would.)

If I am not interested in Prospecting and the Tone ID is important to me, should I swap them out?

In what ways is the M6 better than the MXT?

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Trescher said:
In what ways is the M6 better than the MXT?

Easier to setup and start using and does have the 7 tones to help tell what is in the ground. Uses same coils as the MXT and DFX and can be used the same as the MXT, only without the different programs. ( Set your own Disc to find coins only, all metals, and rings)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread