pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking for new employment? Maybe try crowd sourcing I hear it works well to raise funds. 2 million for one person to stand on the podium or 100 at 20K?

OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for new employment? Maybe try crowd sourcing I hear it works well to raise funds. 2 million for one person to stand on the podium or 100 at 20K?

Absolutely not, and if you read the post prior you will know that. I am too old for this crap and want nothing at all to do with it. Just think it's imperative this pastime organized and had a voice. And 2 million for one man? Come one....read the post again.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely not, and if you read the post prior you will know that. I am too old for this crap and want nothing at all to do with it. Just think it's imperative this pastime organized and had a voice. And 2 million for one man? Come one....read the post again.

You're only as old as what you let yourself be Dick.

Ok I've never claimed to be quick to grasp certain things and I'm having a problem grasping where it's written how many will be standing up there getting paid for their efforts, and I totally missed where you stepped back on the employment opportunity Dick. I guess I have to be up on your written blogs to know that, so sorry that I'm not.

I guess there would be a head person running the whole thing something like a leader. Heard one time that to be a Union Leader was to have the ability to BS and to drink beer, but that was 40+ years ago and things revolved around the pint.

OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You're only as old as what you let yourself be Dick."

Easy for you to say. My body tells me differently.

I did not spell out a lot of specifics because I have no clue what they would be. Only that given our numbers we could easily have a representative group to do battle with our detractors. I have advocated this for years, and the three "supposed" groups we have now are jokes (sorry if that offends anyone).

Maybe when we lose an entire state everyone will wake up. Right now we are "all hat and no cattle."

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea, but it won't work. Your math is a LONG way off. First, it doesn't matter how many people in the US have a detector in the closet. 90% of them are only used a couple of times in their own front yard and then sold or collect dust for decades. We have a true core only numbering in the thousands of REAL detectorists and most of them don't ever get on a forum or any kind of online detecting site.

Lets say we could get 100,000 detectorists to join for $20 a year to fight for their rights. $2 million is nothing. You need office space, employees, webhosting, advertising, airfare, car rentals, hotels, and a HUGE budget for "greasing the wheels" of the politicians.

$2M would probably get your wanted results for a single state, but when you start talking about nationwide your costs increase exponentially.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Great idea, but it won't work".... So let's drop the whole idea?

The numbers I used came from someone within the industry and do NOT include those with detetctors in the closet. Sorry I just don't get the reluctance of detectorists to unite. Guess I am naïve...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a lot easier and better if every state first created their own state detectorist group to look out for their own interests first. Then you could form a national level office to work with and coordinate the state levels, and help get with the national level concerns.

OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a lot easier and better if every state first created their own state detectorist group to look out for their own interests first. Then you could form a national level office to work with and coordinate the state levels, and help get with the national level concerns.

That would be nice, but it isn't happening. Texas has such a group, and has had for sometime.

Someone, somewhere, has to take the initiative, and therein lies the problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions