Any tips for a new snowbird heading to southern Alabama for the winter ?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Wife & I have come to a point where we can do a little travelling and this past week we bought a 1985 Winnebago in great condition & made reservations at an RV park in southern Alabama near the gulf coast. All of my detecting up to now has been in New Hampshire with the main focus on cellar holes & farm fields. Was never much into hitting public parks & spending all day to find $1.00 in clad and have no experience with beach hunting. Detector is a Garrett GTAx 1250 with the Power DD coil. Supposed to be ok for water hunting as well as dirt. Any tips, places to go, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

dlrwaitnonadime

Oct 22, 2010
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in south Alabama. I just got into this hobby about two months ago and I am still trying to find locations to hunt so I can't help much with that. Just wanted to say welcome and enjoy your stay in Alabama. I do not think we have near the number of good hunting locations like it looks as you guys up north have. If your on the coast you can hunt the beach though.

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Thanks for the welcome. I think everyone who does this wants to try someplace else to detect for one reason or another. Sure, we have some really old sites here in New England and the chance of finding Revolutionary war stuff but you guys in the south have the Civil War sites that those of us in the North dream of hunting. Then of course, we all wish we could detect in England where there is the possibility of 2000 year old Roman coins. Anyone else with any tips ? We are going to be in the Fairhope, Springhill area. Thanks

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I dont know how good the coastal hunting will be with hurricane Katrina`s debris she left behind. Peoples house and contents were and still are scattered to who knows where.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn how and when to say, "Y'all."

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Roland58 said:
I had an ex girlfriend from Texas a few years ago and I learned that one. Also learned that "fixin to" means probably never, and when you see someone with 2 heads, no arms and a wooden leg you "bless his heart" :laughing9:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NHBandit said:
Roland58 said:
I had an ex girlfriend from Texas a few years ago and I learned that one. Also learned that "fixin to" means probably never, and when you see someone with 2 heads, no arms and a wooden leg you "bless his heart" :laughing9:

You got it!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread