Any tips for the Fisher 1265x?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I haven't recieved it, but was looking for any tips and tricks that will help me learn the machine when I do get it in the mail.
I hunt for mainly relics and coins in very stable ground. I hunt alot of house places so there is trash in some of the areas I hunt.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For starters, you should read this thread:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166574.0.html

Half a century of hunting experience with the the 1266 is posted there--and it will help you with the 1265. (1265 was ran even a little deeper than the 1266 as I recall.)

After a good bit of experience with the detector, and many holes dug, go back and re-read the post again.  There are a good many subtle things about the machine--and they are all helpful to your hunting.

Regards,

Buckleboy

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Yep, what BuckleBoy (Will) said. He knows his stuff on the 1265/1266x. In fact, I know first hand how much he has used the 1266 - being that I have his historic machine in my possession. Buckle - that arm rest is about as worn out as it gets! I think it's cool and it will probably bring me good luck :). I am asking Keith not to fix that part! Looking at that machine, it is so so used - thousands of hours must have gone into making this detector that dirty. I can't begin to imagine how many nice relics and coins you have dug with it, and at what depth. So Will, what is your best relic dug with that historic 1266 and how deep is the deepest bullet you've dug?

Swamphunter - I have the 1265 myself, and although I don't have much time on it, I can tell you that it's DEEP. I dug a couple of square nails deeper than I care to dig. Easily could have been coins. You have a great machine on the way and it is built like a tank! These things have a build quality that is unheard of in modern detectors. HIGH quality parts, solid construction and oh so reliable. You can't go wrong, they are in demand and in short supply. You could use it for 17 years, and still get good money out of it, (right Buckleboy?) ;D

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks for the replies!

The machine I am getting has the 8" concentric on it. I will more than likely purchase another coil for it later on. What coil should I look at getting?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaginawIan said:
Yep, what BuckleBoy (Will) said. He knows his stuff on the 1265/1266x. In fact, I know first hand how much he has used the 1266 - being that I have his historic machine in my possession. Buckle - that arm rest is about as worn out as it gets! I think it's cool and it will probably bring me good luck :). I am asking Keith not to fix that part! Looking at that machine, it is so so used - thousands of hours must have gone into making this detector that dirty. I can't begin to imagine how many nice relics and coins you have dug with it, and at what depth. So Will, what is your best relic dug with that historic 1266 and how deep is the deepest bullet you've dug?

Swamphunter - I have the 1265 myself, and although I don't have much time on it, I can tell you that it's DEEP. I dug a couple of square nails deeper than I care to dig. Easily could have been coins. You have a great machine on the way and it is built like a tank! These things have a build quality that is unheard of in modern detectors. HIGH quality parts, solid construction and oh so reliable. You can't go wrong, they are in demand and in short supply. You could use it for 17 years, and still get good money out of it, (right Buckleboy?) ;D

I'm totally in agreement.

The deepest bullets I have found were a little over a foot deep in a pasture. I've dug them deeper with the machine in a target practice area--up to waist deep due to the soil slump over time--but that was because I kept getting bullets, and digging, and more signals, and digging, etc... :)

I'll have to ponder a while on the best relic... That's a tough question. :wink:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok you got a really deep relic machine, can you find coins yes but don't get discourged in trashy areas. Some tips I have learned using the 1260, 1265, then the 1266X over 15, 20 years
First I hunt with the least amount of discrm I can first setting at 1.5 to 2.0 second at no more then 3 for relics, you will get the most depth this way. Small iron Will give a scratchy double beep. Large iron will come in good but you want to dig it right? Ok back to hunting, if you get a loud hit on first discrm and it breaks up on second move on, if it's a small buzz sound and it goes away on second discrm break the ground as it could be a deep target if tone comes up solid on second discrm now dig it. I have found a lot of deep buttons and coins this way.
Don't try to run sens all the way up back it down until detector settles, power lines can be an issue. Plant some coins at 8 inches and some at 1 or 2 and listen to the different sounds. If you can master the deep target sounds you will be set. Next plant some iron and listen to the sounds it makes. Don't get discourged a lot of people now are into the turn on and go machine, the 1265x is simple to operate but hard to master. I have dug buttons at 6 or 7 inches while others couldn't get a signal. In trashy areas you will have to turn the discrm up or you will go nuts. Keep at it and your finds will increase. Have fun with a good solid relic machine.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all wise words, ReidMan.  I agree 100%.  The deep tones are the ones you have to master--and on an old site where the relics, buttons, and coins are deep, a deep signal will make you drool.  You can figure out depth to within an inch or two with this machine using just the disc mode in combination with the pinpoint.  :)  The last Eagle breast plate I dug with it was over a foot deep--probably more like 16-18 inches.  I'll post a photo on this thread when I get a chance of it sitting in the dirt. You can tell in the photo by how much dirt is there how danged deep it was. The signal rang loud and clear on the Fisher--and I could tell that it was very deep. 

ReidMan said:
the 1265x is simple to operate but hard to master

Well said.  :thumbsup:

-Buckleboy

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
Hi SwampHunter, Steve here - I am the one that sold you the 1265x. I am thinking/hoping that you receive the detector this weekend. Please let me know when you get and I hope that you really like it & find alot of goodies with it. Steve.

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Steve,
I sure hope it comes in by this weekend. I found a store site from the CW that would be perfect to test the machine on.
I will let you know when it comes in. Thanks again!

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Got the machine in today.

I got it together and then air tested it in the house. As soon as I turned the machine on it started to chatter. I was actually worried that this would be the noisy machine everyone had told me about. The next bummer was the depth tests. I couldn't get hardly any depth at all. I actually thought this was going to be the worst machine I have ever laid eyes on. Since I paid for it I might as well take it on a test run. I went across the street to the old church yard....... there was a church there in the late 1800's. I had some coins, bullets and jewelry in my pockets for testing. When I got to the yard I turned the machine on. There was no chatter and the machine was silent. I actually thought it might have died on me. I pulled out a coin and waved it front of the coil. COOL! This machine sounds like my old White's Coinmaster. I guess the interference in the house came from the electricity? I have air tested all machines in the house before and never had them act like this one did. I played with the machine for a bit testing different items. This thing has lots of depth! I went ahead and tried it on the church yard. This yard is very trashy. The machine was great! It acted alot like my old White's Coinmaster except that it was 100 times better in depth, comfort and more functions. I never saw the noise like everyone else talks about.... except for in the house.
Not sure when I will get to actually hunt with the machine. I thought it was going to be this weekend, but things have changed.
Thanks for the machine SkiWhiz. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SwampHunter said:
Got the machine in today.

I got it together and then air tested it in the house. As soon as I turned the machine on it started to chatter. I was actually worried that this would be the noisy machine everyone had told me about. The next bummer was the depth tests. I couldn't get hardly any depth at all. I actually thought this was going to be the worst machine I have ever laid eyes on. Since I paid for it I might as well take it on a test run. I went across the street to the old church yard....... there was a church there in the late 1800's. I had some coins, bullets and jewelry in my pockets for testing. When I got to the yard I turned the machine on. There was no chatter and the machine was silent. I actually thought it might have died on me. I pulled out a coin and waved it front of the coil. COOL! This machine sounds like my old White's Coinmaster. I guess the interference in the house came from the electricity? I have air tested all machines in the house before and never had them act like this one did. I played with the machine for a bit testing different items. This thing has lots of depth! I went ahead and tried it on the church yard. This yard is very trashy. The machine was great! It acted alot like my old White's Coinmaster except that it was 100 times better in depth, comfort and more functions. I never saw the noise like everyone else talks about.... except for in the house.
Not sure when I will get to actually hunt with the machine. I thought it was going to be this weekend, but things have changed.
Thanks for the machine SkiWhiz. :thumbsup:

Yep. That's an Old School Fisher for ya. Deeeeep and Runs Hot. I get lots of chatter indoors with mine too.

Enjoy that gem of a detector, and I look forward to seeing your finds posts.

Regards,

Buckleboy

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
Glad the detector made it to you & you are very very welcome. I hope you will find many goodies with it. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Give me a shout any time. Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread