Any Treasure Hunting RV'ers on TNet?

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
This may have already been touched on in the forum elsewhere but couldn't find anything doing a Search.

What do you use for an Internet Hotspot when you're traveling?

Looking for something that doesn't require the Blood of your Firstborn and doesn't Throttle the life out of you after 20mb. AT&T just divebombed their iPad program, and their speed was like cold molasses to begin with. Makes it difficult to read or communicate here on the forum, much less upload pics and post without getting timed out.

Experiences and recommendations anyone? :BangHead:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the Verizon Jetpack, about 1/2 way thru our billing cycle it slows way down. But its the price we pay to have Internet camping and on the road.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
We have the Verizon Jetpack, about 1/2 way thru our billing cycle it slows way down. But its the price we pay to have Internet camping and on the road.

Yep, I had heard that too elsewhere. Have you heard of Visible Wireless? I was told about them and that they use Verizon Network but offer no throttling. Not exactly sure how that is accomplished? Supposedly, their phones can be used as a Hotspot, and Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data service is only $40. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? :icon_scratch:

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always use my wifi hotspot thru my phone on at&t. Also have dish network and use my dish tailgater while I'm enjoying my leather recliner by the lake [emoji6]..

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I always use my wifi hotspot thru my phone on at&t. Also have dish network and use my dish tailgater while I'm enjoying my leather recliner by the lake [emoji6]..

You have any trouble with throttling/slow speeds on your AT&T? I don't watch much television, prefer to make my own entertainment. But I see lots of RV folk using the dish systems.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have any trouble with throttling/slow speeds on your AT&T? I don't watch much television, prefer to make my own entertainment. But I see lots of RV folk using the dish systems.
No just get the good plan from att and you shouldn't worry about speeds.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
When I'm out in the field T hunting and exploring, I use my tablet for many purposes, pics, GPS, waymarking sites, bluetooth drone camera footage, video phone calls, researching the web and so on. It's my multipurpose tool, like an electronic Leatherman. AT&T used to offer a very reasonable plan with unlimited, no throttle internet service. That plan is now gone and hasn't been replaced with anything close. I might use 100GB a month, no movies, gaming or streaming, just the tools mentioned. Having a real problem finding a replacement service.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me see what I have it's not bad priced and the speed never slows down.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone told me that there is a hotspot device through Verizon that is only offered through prepay that is unlimited data and I think it was 40 a month. But it’s prepay only.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most good campgrounds especially state ones have WI-FI and have for years.

I invested in a good antenna and a long USB cable for traveling.

There are times when connections are better than others... but free is free.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone told me that there is a hotspot device through Verizon that is only offered through prepay that is unlimited data and I think it was 40 a month. But it’s prepay only.

Sure would like to know about that one.

As far as I've found, Verizon doesn't offer a prepaid Unlimited Hotspot/Tablet plan. They offer 3 plans.... 6GB @ $35 mo.....16GB @$45 mo.....and 30GB @ $65 mo.

I use over three times their highest tier plan. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't do much exploring in campgrounds. I need something portable, for when I'm in the field and boondocking.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do much exploring in campgrounds. I need something portable, for when I'm in the field and boondocking.

From what I understand from what the rep said...

1)Go into a Verizon store( not an authorized to sell)

2)Ask for prepaid hot spot devices

3) ask about which plan is unlimited.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got 65 dollar plan as an add on and it says network could be slowed but I promise ya, it's never slowed and I use 140 gigs a month on my shared plan lol. Screenshot_20200313-181431_Google.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I've been in ONE campground with wifi worth a crap. Most of them, even if you can connect, you have no bandwdth because its a crappy connection being shared among dozens of people.

My ATT cell service lets me tether my phone connection to my laptop for excellent wifi in the wild.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got 65 dollar plan as an add on and it says network could be slowed but I promise ya, it's never slowed and I use 140 gigs a month on my shared plan lol. View attachment 1810748

I checked on that plan, and it says they limit video streaming to 1.5mbps, and Hotspot use is prohibited. :dontknow:

e7Psmazm.png

I finally did some checking tonight on the Visible Wireless phone plan I had mentioned earlier. Looks legit, owned by Verizon, Unlimited and No Throttling. Video is capped at 5mbps, or DVD quality, which is good enough for what I use it for. Only downside I saw was you can only tether 1 device at a time with the hotspot. Still not a biggie though, as I only need it for my Tablet when I'm out exploring and/or using the drone. Other than that I would be tethering my laptop at camp. Would never be using both at the same time. $40 bucks a month and unlimited, unthrottled internet sounds pretty good. Think I will give it a shot, cheap enough, and it's a prepaid as you go, no contracts. If it doesn't do the job I won't have lost much.

https://www.reviews.org/mobile/visible-wireless-review/

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I've been in ONE campground with wifi worth a crap. Most of them, even if you can connect, you have no bandwdth because its a crappy connection being shared among dozens of people.

My ATT cell service lets me tether my phone connection to my laptop for excellent wifi in the wild.

Are you on an Unlimited plan? The only Unlimited plans I found with AT&T prohibited hotspots/tethering. :icon_scratch:

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm on unlimited also, and I have wifi tethering, it's not showing on that pic but there is i think 3 or 4 different deals of unlimited u can get and they all have a little different stuff they offer. Here is what it says i.would pay and mind u I have 7 lines on my plan so ur would be different obviously. Screenshot_20200314-034125_myAT%26T.jpg Screenshot_20200314-034110_myAT%26T.jpg

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you on an Unlimited plan? The only Unlimited plans I found with AT&T prohibited hotspots/tethering. :icon_scratch:
Hes absolutely right campsite internet always sucks, my mobile data is 3 times faster in.the boonies than what wifi is and they modem and router could be 50 ft away from me haha. I camp in Oklahoma campsites so I kno what hes talking about lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread