Any trouble with small items falling through the holes in your scoop?

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hate it when I saw a small stud earring or similar sized item fall through the holes in my scoop. I took a chance last summer by paying extra to have a scoop made entirely with 1/4" holes drilled in it. That was a great decision for me. If you hunt sandy bottom areas I think you would be very pleased with the results. It does drain a little slower but it ended the problem of small things falling through 1/2" holes like they do in my other scoop. I just thought there might be someone out there that would be interested in my experience. Happy hunting you all.

DANGLANGLEY

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WEAR A MASK AND WHEN I KNOW ITS A SMALL ITEM - STUDS OR SMALL SINKER - I'LL DROP DOWN AND AFTER GOING THRU SCOOP ONCE - IT WILL USUALLY BE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP - IN ROUGH WATER I WILL BRING FLOATING SIEVE WHICH HAS SMALL MESH ON ONE SIDE AND USE THAT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I installed gutter screen in the bottom 1/5 of my scoop to make holes smaller, have caught several studs that way...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Casper I ware a mask. Of course if it's Muddy/Murky or poor visibility, it's a bummer. We manage!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone ever hunts for cobs on shipwreck beaches they will definitely want smaller holes... Or just use a small shovel.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small Items.

I have one of the Sunspot scoops with the smaller holes up front to catch the small items that fall through the larger holes in the rear. I have magnets between the two hole sections to catch pieces of hairpins. EARRING BACKS.JPG View attachment 957092 First pic is of earring backs, Second pic is of Sunspot Scoop with 1/8" holes up front to get the smaller stuff like split shot, earring backs and diamond studs.

Attachments

• SS STealth.JPG
    SS STealth.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using the current classic sugar sand 8 ( 8" W, 12: L, 5 " high) with 1/8" holes running from about the middle of the scope to the rear and up four rows across the bottom. I suspect that I am loosing the smaller targets thru the higher 1/2 " holes as I have not stopped any ear ring studs with the smaller holes to date.
Either that or the ear rings studs I sweep across have all been thrash and discriminated out.

I have one of the Sunspot scoops with the smaller holes up front to catch the small items that fall through the larger holes in the rear. I have magnets between the two hole sections to catch pieces of hairpins. View attachment 957096 View attachment 957092 First pic is of earring backs, Second pic is of Sunspot Scoop with 1/8" holes up front to get the smaller stuff like split shot, earring backs and diamond studs.

Last edited:

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I welded some 1/8" screen abt 3" back from the end of the scoop. I haven't tried it out yet but I felt that I had some gold or silver studs dropping thru. I wired in magnets and caught a bunch of junker studs. I can't wait to give it a try this summer

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it goes through my scoop 3 times, and I can not see it, in the sand, I leave it for you.
Yes. I do have several studs and backs. One square stud has 39 diamonds on it. I had the stud removed and a ring put on a corner so my wife could use it as a pendent on her necklace. It really catches ones eye.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put some 1/4 inch hardware cloth in my sunspot scoop and held it together with some stainless steel screws. I've tried it twice lately and it works great. Anything smaller than 1/4 is gonna fall out if it doesn't get caught up with the gravel and fresh water mussels. The 22 casings and fired 22's used to drive me crazy, but no more wasting time on them now.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would drive me crazy if things slipped through my scoop.
The .22 shells are no prize but at least I know what was under my coil.

That CZ that broke off the ring could have been real and it goes right through the larger holes!
I'm glad I bought my Stealth 8 Classic Sugar Sand Scoop!

image-2042732066.png

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see what is keeping the smaller targets from slipping thru the 1/2 inch holes higher up
and on the bottom near the front of the tip which is hard to see in your photo?

Do you use the sugar sand 8 the same as the standard classic 8 (all 1/2 inch holes)
Or do you have to cant the basket slightly back and sift more gently?

Or do you use it with your hand inside the scoop moving the sand back and forth to sift the sand thru the small holes ,
like you would on a grator?

That CZ that broke off the ring could have been real and it goes right through the larger holes!

View attachment 958184

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see what is keeping the smaller targets from slipping thru the 1/2 inch holes higher up
and on the bottom near the front of the tip which is hard to see in your photo?

Do you use the sugar sand 8 the same as the standard classic 8 (all 1/2 inch holes)
Or do you have to cant the basket slightly back and sift more gently?

Or do you use it with your hand inside the scoop moving the sand back and forth to sift the sand thru the small holes ,
like you would on a grator?

View attachment 958184

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture but how do you use it?
and/or the 1/2 inch holes on the bottom near the front of the tip which is hard to see in your photo?

then slow down when items start dropping thru the 1/2 inch holes.
Then cant the basket slightly back and sift more gently?

Or do you use it with your hand inside the scoop moving the sand back and forth to sift the sand thru the small holes,
like you would on a grater?

View attachment 958184

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scoop the target then sweep the coil over the area to make sure I have it in the scoop. If I believe it is in the scoop, I shake it up and down in the water close to the surface, slightly angled back and with an overhand grip on the handle. I guess the weight of the targets pulls them to the bottom. The sand falls out. If the scoop is full of shells or stones I sift through it by hand. If I can't find the target in the scoop I walk back to the beach and dump it in the wet sand and find it with my coil. All those .22 shells, the earring back and the CZ we're were all in the bottom of that scoop. The holes in the bottom of the scoop are about the size of the diameter of the .22 shell. Even if they fell perfectly in the hole, the back of the casing would keep it from falling through. By the way if you click on the picture it gets bigger so you can get a better view on the .22 shell size and the holes in the scoop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it goes through my scoop 3 times, and I can not see it, in the sand, I leave it for you.

Ahhhhh, you're the one keeping me busy and causing me to miss the good stuff, lol.... I guess I'm a little OCD about anything falling through my scoop, lol.... So far I haven't found any small gold studs with it but I've found lots of silver ones.

Thanks for all of the replies. May you all find the big one!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread