Any updated books on colorado gold panning worth a read?

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at informational books and came across this one on ebay: Gold Panning and Placering in Colorado How and Where 1884216234 | eBay

I already have this one in my kindle app: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4Y2TLC/ref=docs-os-doi_0
Just got it so havent read it yet but will post a review here after reading

The ben parker on looks like a possible good read but is 2009, a bit outdated i would think. Is there a more updated one that anyone knows of or can recommend?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok gave the Christopher Sciullo one a read has most of the basic stuff, but a good directory of clubs. Worth .99 cents to a newbie like me learning, but i doubt it has anything a veteran wouldnt already know.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ok gave the Christopher Sciullo one a read has most of the basic stuff, but a good directory of clubs. Worth .99 cents to a newbie like me learning, but i doubt it has anything a veteran wouldnt already know.

Gold producing areas and techniques do not change like consumer electronics. It may be helpful for you to research some old books and maps too.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Parker's book is good and the 2009 edition is the updated version with better maps. Go for it! If you come to the Gold Prospectors of the Rockies meeting in Lakewood on Wednesday evening you can look at it in person and buy it without paying shipping :)

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was looking at informational books and came across this one on ebay: Gold Panning and Placering in Colorado How and Where 1884216234 | eBay

I already have this one in my kindle app: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4Y2TLC/ref=docs-os-doi_0
Just got it so havent read it yet but will post a review here after reading

The ben parker on looks like a possible good read but is 2009, a bit outdated i would think. Is there a more updated one that anyone knows of or can recommend?

Ben Parker wrote the definitive work on placers in Colorado, published by the Colorado Geological Survey back in the late 60's; it was from his PhD thesis at Colorado School of Mines. He has updated it and turned it into the book you linked. All his stuff still has good information, but there are some newer books out there, drawing on his (and others) information. Actually 2009 is not that long ago.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ben Parker wrote the definitive work on placers in Colorado, published by the Colorado Geological Survey back in the late 60's; it was from his PhD thesis at Colorado School of Mines. He has updated it and turned it into the book you linked. All his stuff still has good information, but there are some newer books out there, drawing on his (and others) information. Actually 2009 is not that long ago.

Newer books Dave? What do you recommend? The one I know of is "Gold Placers of Colorado" by Richard L. Lampright. It uses the info in Ben's book and adds on some decent maps and gps coordinates. It is pretty expensive and is just plastic bound, photocopy printed but I like it.

image-1292743546.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread