Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Private with permission, or owned by you, detect away..

What ? You can do what you want on your own private land ?? Say it isn't so !! ??

....Even I cannot detect the BLM permit land attached to our deeded.

Actually, BLM has no *express* disallowance of md'ing. If you have a link to such a code, for BLM land specifically, let me know. Barring ancillary language, I know of no-such specific prohibition. If it came down to boiler-plate cultural heritage issues (ARPA), Ok, fine, ........ just be looking for nuggets or meteorites :tongue3:

Looking forward to some show & tell on your finds !

Badger40

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2019
Dayville Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300
GarretAT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately here's the lowdown from their downloadable PDF:

"Cultural materials on public lands may not be removed, damaged, disturbed, excavated or
transferred without BLM permit. Cultural resources include prehistoric and historic artifacts
and sites, broken objects and debris more than 100 years old that were used or produced by
humans. Protected materials include arrowheads and other stone tools, grinding stones,
beads, baskets, pottery, old bottles, horse shoes, metal tools, graves and trash scatters.
Historic sites such as cabins, sawmills,
graves, trail traces, mining areas, townsites,
ranches and railroads are not open to
collecting.
Metal detector use is allowed on public
lands. Modern money may be collected,
but coins and artifacts more than 100
years old may not be collected."

The link: https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/documents/files/collecting_on_publiclands.pdf

Pretty self explanatory.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard to break the rules, but I am not going to advocate it. I realize most BLM land is all pretty remote. Our permit, though we are in Grant county OR, is through the Prineville office. And we have a long time manager who is really common sense and fair and easy to deal with.
I imagine I personally won't have any issues. And since my neighbors and the locals are more than accommodating about such things if you're a fellow land owner, I think I may have a lot of fun here for the rest of my life ;)
I already got the low down about artifacts. Hubby & I still own a bit of the ND ranch and there on the Cannonball River my yard was literally a Native America paleo cultural site. I'd find points and scrapers and things in my driveway.
I imagine I will find stuff here as well. Especially since I wake up in the morning and Picture Gorge is right out of my window ;)

Badger40

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2019
Dayville Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300
GarretAT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suppose I should have clarified about MD on BLM. You can, but obviously, anything 100+ yo is not able to be removed. And who would do that if they found a Civil War spur? Yeah right.
Nobody is coming to get me if I did step across the private to the BLM line on my permit. But a person has got to really be careful these days on public lands.
And my home ground is an old military road. That's your historical significant stuff.
I have a lot to find on my deeded. And the road run longways E-W through it. So I have no need to go further at this point. Plus my deeded is scattered throughout the whole permit up the mountain. Lots of possibilities I get giddy thinking about

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I suppose I should have clarified about MD on BLM. You can, but obviously, anything 100+ yo is not able to be removed. ....

In all my 43-ish years of md'ing , I have never had anyone come out to me, in the middle of nowhere, armed with a calculator. Figuring the dates on coins in my apron. I'm sure there would be a griper if you were snooping around on a historic sensitive monument on BLM, or if you were waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, etc....

But let's just cut to the chase: If ... for some reason, you fear that there might be a griper out in these middle-of-nowhere type BLM situations. And you feared that a 101 yr. old penny was going to be a problem, then do this: Simply re-insert any coin, that is older than 100 yrs, back into the ground. Presto, problem solved , eh ? You're just looking for new coins, jewelry, nuggets, meteorites, etc... Right ?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last Saturday my niece and I were detecting some land on the Washington side of the river across from the Dalles, or. We got investigated by a Washington state policeman, and two federal game /indian police for being on land that they THINK belongs to the corps of engineers. They were very polite, but spent the best part of an hour checking our id and made the niece show places she had dug and covered back up. We were very intimidated in the process. You would have thought we dug up some state treasure or something. They investigate any "trespass" on land between hwy 14 in Washington and SR 84 in Oregon. All lands between deemed fed property, no trespass. I feel they overstepped their authority, but how does
one challenge them? Anyhow, that sure takes a lot of the fun out of detecting. They would rather have artifacts rust and rot away than for someone to get use of them. Owell

They flooded out an entire river, screwed up the salmon resource, drowned countless Native sites, disrupted game migration, and they hassle you for digging a few dropped coins. Pretty damned funny, I'd say. The Army Corps of Engineers have done more harm to the environment than just about any other agency. They still have way too much arrogance and power, IMHO. I am a Washingtonian by birth.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
They ....

Who is the "they" and why are they "hot and bothered" with this current mission to find-your-actions offensive ?

I believe I know why there is anyone (like those "they") who cares less.

And as for their "caring less", then ...... what they don't see won't bother them. Right ? Oh sure, you can spend your entire life trying to convince those "1 in 1-million people" to change their views. OR : you can just simply not be seen by that "1 in 1-million people".

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who is the "they" and why are they "hot and bothered" with this current mission to find-your-actions offensive ?

I believe I know why there is anyone (like those "they") who cares less.

And as for their "caring less", then ...... what they don't see won't bother them. Right ? Oh sure, you can spend your entire life trying to convince those "1 in 1-million people" to change their views. OR : you can just simply not be seen by that "1 in 1-million people".

The "they" is the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The "they" is the US Army Corps of Engineers.

And I bet that ... looking back to the 1970s, '80s, and even well into the '90s....... there were probably most or all of those army-corps of engineer rank & file folks, who would simply have given the matter no thought. Nor paid a 2nd glance if they passed by an md'r in the past.

For example: There was a certain state park in my area, which had a CCC era campground. We used to go there and poke around for common silver practice. Never had a problem (never occurred to us that there WAS any problem, it was just never an issue, nor did it even cross our minds). Then one day, we started getting booted. We traced it to a single individual who showed up at the kiosk and asked if it was ok to detect. The confused bewildered ranger said "Let me check". And got on the phone with Sacramento or wherever. Came back to the kiosk window and said "no". Then .... lo & behold .... I guess that same ranger, who perhaps never gave the matter thought before ......... guess what will happen when he sees another md'r ? He'll think "Aha! there's one of *them*" And start booting others.

So too do I believe the evolution is at most all other "no's", is md'rs making themselves a giant bullseye, swatting hornet's nests.

Apr 8, 2024
id be looking more into the gold rush aspect i spend plenty of time hunting right outside dayville and never find indian stuff just stumble across old mining places and if you dont know you should look up why the hunting unit there is named murders creek

TigerSmile

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2024
There was one incident of a fire bombing on the Oregon Coast during WW2 by a plane and it's a great story.
Then the Fort Stevens attack.
I feel like these definitely count right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions