any way to i.d. the fake silver coin copies from china

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I think weighing it is the best way to tell but unless you have it in your hand and access to accurate scales it can be very hard to tell.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
portable digital scales...the kind the doper's use, should be able to get a scale at any head shop, and some pawn shops have them. they start at about 60.00

kwkstar

Aug 2, 2009
Ossian. IN
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 30
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gota love that use a cheap Chinese tool to find Chinese junk! :icon_thumleft:

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Know your coins is the best advice. The faked mint marks are the most dangerous, they add a fake mint mark to a genuine coin. I have yet to see any fakes in the hand that don't have something that gives them away. High quality fakes are not cheap to produce, so most any fakes at a flea market are going to be low quality. If you don't know what you're buying, walk away. And if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I have seen several and the one I was able to examine was struck in low grade stainless steel and was magnetic. siegfried schlagrule

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a silver coin that you have, and think it's fake.
Drop it on a counter top, listen to the sound it makes.
Then take a coin of the same type that you know is real,
drop it on the counter top, listen to that sound. The fake
coins don't make the same sounds as the real coins.

Roadquest :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread