any woodworkers out there willing to help with plans for swedish cupboard bed?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this has nothing to do with MD'ing, but I have been wanting to build one for yrs, & feel like it might be the right time. can't find plans on-line, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me draw up plans. I have an old door I would like to use in it, & some old round wooden columns from demolished house I would like to use.
Here is a pic of what I would like to try.
Thanks ahead for any help.

Attachments

• I want this bed.JPG
    I want this bed.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 5,782

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Many woodworkers don't work from plans. Its an innovative process. I know this doesn't help with your project but the only help I can give is for you is to butcher a lot of wood first. Before long you won't need help or a plan. Luck on your path. May the Gods of wood be with you. BTW a small sacrifice can't hurt. A bit of sawdust under a special tree maybe.
I like your spirit of reclamation.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Hvacker. I have done building projects before, but the main thing I am wondering about is the base layout. I'm thinking it should be built like an overgrown window seat, higher & wider. with storage space accessible through door panels. Maybe I should just move to Sweden or Norway & buy a place with one already built. Oh wait, you need lots of cash for that. I better get out & start finding coins! (hows that for a segway from beds to MD'ing)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could partition the space under the bed with 3/4 ply panels, but that doesn't give you 1 big open space. You could frame under the top, It redistributes the weight to the front and back. Good Luck!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB Your best bet (If you have one is a Rockler store)( It;s a woodworking store ) There are many old timers that visit that place and willing to help.
If you don't, a lot of county parks have some great woodworking facilities with plenty of good help.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Okey dokey, I will try to find some woodworkers in the area. With all the farming around here, most folks "make do" which means make it yourself cuz you can't afford to pay anyone to do it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked around a little mama but couldnt really find any plans,pictures yes.plans no.Its not to difficult to draw up your own plans.Read up on some websites on and about technical drawing.As long as you have the dimensions of where the bed is going,as where a window seat would go,the rest isnt to difficult.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, someone mentioned Rockler. This is one of my suppliers. rocklerpro.com
They supply woodworking parts and kits that most only dream about. They sell plans and parts. I noticed a bookcase bed, which is a Murphy style bed you might be interested in.
Now the easiest wayto build what you picture is to place your bed in a corner and literally inclose it. It would'n take much to do it that way. A face plate for the front'side' of the bed and frame in the end. Good luck. frank...
6 06-1 Yellowstone 063.jpg

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, posted twice the same? taking lessons from the KING??:laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My posts have doubled a few times,, I try to go back and delete one of them when that happens,, A weird glitch.

In my previous posts I don't think I was clear enough. It is a simple cabinet you are building. It is longer so it will need extra support that you can be obtained by using cabinet building techniques.

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many woodworkers don't work from plans. Its an innovative process. I know this doesn't help with your project but the only help I can give is for you is to butcher a lot of wood first. Before long you won't need help or a plan. Luck on your path. May the Gods of wood be with you. BTW a small sacrifice can't hurt. A bit of sawdust under a special tree maybe.
I like your spirit of reclamation.

hvacker is familiar with the process. Follow his lead. I've built several beds. They are not hard. I like your concept. Whether it's a house a roof or a bed I always tell my crew: 'Do what you know.' The answers will come in time. I will say decide what size bed you want first. You don't want to be making custom sheets.

Enjoy the journey.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

No, he did it 36 times. lol. I moved the image and deleated the original, I should have checked back. Frank...

111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hvacker is familiar with the process. Follow his lead. I've built several beds. They are not hard. I like your concept. Whether it's a house a roof or a bed I always tell my crew: 'Do what you know.' The answers will come in time. I will say decide what size bed you want first. You don't want to be making custom sheets.

Enjoy the journey.

I totally agree "decide what size bed you want first" and then engineer around that. I rarely work from plans either. And If your building this bed into a certain space already outlined / bordered / enclosed it gets even easier from there. The above pic looks like twin or queen size and supporting this with space below shouldn't be hard. Honestly, from the material your describing you will find "no plans". You may (as stated before) use some more wood then needed... but man will you "dummy up" quick. Your project is a custom project.... and I wish you the best Mamma!!!!!! .... Brad

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the input folks. We don't have a rocklerpro here, & the help at lowes & home depot was anything but help. so I will go with what I know which is minimal at best, & usually requires a little extra cutting, & of course more materials than I should need, but I do have to factor in my mistakes. Am using some old doors to give it that Swedish look, & pieces I have found at garage sales. Will post pix when done. In the mean time this is the beautiful I have now. A worse for wear, but it is an antique & I do treasure it. But my daughter would like to have it.

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
oh ya, just replaced the 40 yr old chipboard with 3/4" plywood. The stuff didn't come up easily, it splintered & broke into itty bitty pieces. I now officially hate chipboard, then there were in some places as many as 5 layers of tar paper under chipboard. once stuff has been there so long it does not wanna give up the ghost. So as ugly as the plywood is, I love it! there was a lot of blood, sweat & curses, but it was worth it someday I hope to get wood flooring, but daughter is in college, need I say more?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice bed. I had one similar.

Regarding support: I have a king now (74' x 72" I think). I have it on 3 1/2" slats spaced 3 1/2" apart with no other support under it and I'm sure I could take out half of the slats and still be fine.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I got rid of my king size bed when my hubby & I separated. just took up to much room. Now I have a full & like it much better. Have to put of building new one til tuition is paid, (probably many moons).

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you live in Missouri. Have you checked with an Amish community in your area? They do classical work and they won't take you for a ride. My brother in Iowa had some come in and rebuild some of the wooden windows in a very old house. Here's some leads for you.
missouri amish furniture - Bing

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
We don't have a rocklerpro here,
They are on line. rocklerpro.com
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions