Any1 hear about this aztec legend?

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have heard a slightly different version. When he was having trouble with the Spanish, he ordered all gold,silver, and precious stones removed from the palace and transported out of the country. I have heard that it ended up in Utah. Maybe just a legend, who knows.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Got most of this third hand-It is unconfirmed. The aztec's were probably carrying one of the idols with the Spanish in pursuit. There was a battle in S.W. Colorado in Paradox canyon on the San Miguel River.During the battle, the idol was transported down river. Confirmed portion-Pictographs recorded an idol being transported and an aztec warrior holding up a spanish shield. The rancher on who's property the pictographs were located has long since passed away and his son sold the rock with pictographs prior to selling the ranch. As best as I can remember,The rock was at least four feet square and about ten feet tall. The old rancher LOVED the land and was a conservator of it and the indian artifacts but his son was only interested in the money. I understand that there were at least three of the smaller idols, 250 pounds and one large idol. Hope this helps. Have fun! Jim

OP
OP
bob123

bob123

Feb 25, 2009
east coast
tertiaryjim said:
Got most of this third hand-It is unconfirmed. The aztec's were probably carrying one of the idols with the Spanish in pursuit. There was a battle in S.W. Colorado in Paradox canyon on the San Miguel River.During the battle, the idol was transported down river. Confirmed portion-Pictographs recorded an idol being transported and an aztec warrior holding up a spanish shield. The rancher on who's property the pictographs were located has long since passed away and his son sold the rock with pictographs prior to selling the ranch. As best as I can remember,The rock was at least four feet square and about ten feet tall. The old rancher LOVED the land and was a conservator of it and the indian artifacts but his son was only interested in the money. I understand that there were at least three of the smaller idols, 250 pounds and one large idol. Hope this helps. Have fun! Jim
Thanx for responding but i was wondering if u know any documented history on it??
Thanx alot,
Bob

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I am trying hard to imagine this Aztec tribe carrying a ton of rock over
a thousand miles of dense jungle and Mexican desert. Then crossing the
Rio and a hundred more creeks and rivers. Plus stopping for enchiladas.
With the Spanish Conquistadors in coats of tin trailing along behind,
stopping to water and curry their steeds with the native slaves gathering
sustenance all the way to the mountains of North.
Wish I could imagine a plausible explanation of why the booty of the
southern Americas always wound up our backyard.
Wishful thinking is nice. lastleg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
LASTLEG Perhaps I'm wrong about it being the Aztecs. What other nation might have had idols in this area? As I said I've not researched this and must admit my memory of it is faulty. However,an Indian holding a spanish shield and the idol were recorded on the rocks.I also understood that the smaller idols weighed about 200 to 250 lbs. Have fun. Jim

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Jim: No problem, I like to have fun with these yarns. Wishing you well
on your next hunt. Is the San Miguel still a good fishing stream?
Lastleg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Not much of a fisherman myself. Havent had time to sluice for gold ether. Hmm! It may be time to review my priorities. Jim

OP
OP
bob123

bob123

Feb 25, 2009
east coast
lastleg said:
I am trying hard to imagine this Aztec tribe carrying a ton of rock over
a thousand miles of dense jungle and Mexican desert. Then crossing the
Rio and a hundred more creeks and rivers. Plus stopping for enchiladas.
With the Spanish Conquistadors in coats of tin trailing along behind,
stopping to water and curry their steeds with the native slaves gathering
sustenance all the way to the mountains of North.
Wish I could imagine a plausible explanation of why the booty of the
southern Americas always wound up our backyard.
Wishful thinking is nice. lastleg
I agree thats why I thought the statue myith made since a cave some where in the Aztec empire maybe they sealed it so no one could find it. Who knows any1 one of us could be right or wrong I dont know. ???

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Bob & Jim: Here is a clue about Aztec idols in SW Colorado and NW
New Mexico. I just now noticed the town of Aztec, NM. On my map
just above the town in red letters "AZTEC RUINS N.M." lastleg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Lastleg Thanks ! Will be keeping my eyes open for any sign relating to this but cant specifically work on it now. So much to do and learn-So little time. Jim

LECTRICHEART

Aug 18, 2011
Hillside Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter BB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little research will tell you that even tho the name is AZTEC RUINS, it has been proven that the Aztecs had nothing to do with them.

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
:read2:
Just a quick note about Montezumas’ Treasure because it’s possible the information of
Cabrillo, Kino, Monty and the Dutchman are related.
After Cortez conquered the Aztecs and Monty was executed and while Cortez was out for an extended lunch, supposedly, Montezumas’ successor had over two thousand of his men move all of the Aztec Treasure to the original homeland of the Aztecs before Cortez returned, the place called, Aztlan. This homeland journey took two moons to walk, to the North. That puts them somewhere in the Southwestern United States. One story tells of it being placed in seven caves, or underground cities, if you prefer, the seven cities of Cibola.
Although many mines, or caves, have been located with extensive tunnel systems leading long distances they appear to be either already emptied of Treasure or false trails. Or, the Treasure could be one more stone away. However, to this date, it is “not known” that any of this Treasure has ever been recovered, but that is what Coronado was after in his 1541-42 expedition.
:icon_pirat:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In my research, I have run across many tails of hiding places of Aztec treasure. This includes several states. There have been ancient ruins found near Casta Grandy which are of unknown origin. I ran into an old prospector about 5 years ago that claimed he had info on the treasure and just needed a GPR to narrow it down. He claimed it was buried very deep in an area East of Quartsite. I never followed thru on this. I think Lastles's Just describes my thoughts on the subject also. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread