diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a good day today, old quarters hardly ever show up. I learned the governor of Colorado at one time was this guy named Peobody who lived down the hill in Canon City. The miners were not happy with wages and hours and anytime they acted up Peobody would send in the National Guard. He would terrorize the minors and was for the mine owners. Definitely not liked by the majority of the people. When he ran for governor again the opposition made the slogan I found. Glad I found it, I had another one that was half burned. The rusty piece is from a coin bank. Happy Hunting, I love the spring!!

Funny story, so I get home and can't find the Peobody piece and I remember putting it my pocket. I looked it up and it's somewhat valuable. I freak out look through everything go back to the site 2 more times search everywhere and give up with that kind of sick feeling. Go to get into bed and take off my shoes, yep in my shoe:)

Attachments

• IMG_20240407_181749205.jpg
    IMG_20240407_181749205.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20240407_191925604.jpg
    IMG_20240407_191925604.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20240403_083932329.jpg
    IMG_20240403_083932329.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20240407_185604684.jpg
    IMG_20240407_185604684.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
Upvote 32
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a chuckle out of your "shoe" find! But I sympathize with your feelings when you discovered it was missing. Been there.
Thanks, I definitely do not like loosing things. I'm trying to find a case to carry around. But it's just something else to keep track of. I'd probably leave it at a hole:)

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a good day today, old quarters hardly ever show up. I learned the governor of Colorado at one time was this guy named Peobody who lived down the hill in Canon City. The miners were not happy with wages and hours and anytime they acted up Peobody would send in the National Guard. He would terrorize the minors and was for the mine owners. Definitely not liked by the majority of the people. When he ran for governor again the opposition made the slogan I found. Glad I found it, I had another one that was half burned. The rusty piece is from a coin bank. Happy Hunting, I love the spring!!

Funny story, so I get home and can't find the Peobody piece and I remember putting it my pocket. I looked it up and it's somewhat valuable. I freak out look through everything go back to the site 2 more times search everywhere and give up with that kind of sick feeling. Go to get into bed and take off my shoes, yep in my shoe:)
neat finds and super cool peabody badge, wtg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is metal detecting around any of the old mines allowed in the area around Victor/Cripple Creek?

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not around the big mine. I keep trying to get our club to get permission. Back then they mined everywhere and once in a while someone has a mine on their property. The old glory holes were filled in with trash and sometimes you can get a permission with one of those in them but that digging. The good stuff comes out of where people lived and spent time and threw away trash. The town burnt down and sometimes you can find that old burnt layer. You can almost imagine where a dresser had been and then the house burned away, or the rubble was pushed off a hillside.

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not around the big mine. I keep trying to get our club to get permission. Back then they mined everywhere and once in a while someone has a mine on their property. The old glory holes were filled in with trash and sometimes you can get a permission with one of those in them but that digging. The good stuff comes out of where people lived and spent time and threw away trash. The town burnt down and sometimes you can find that old burnt layer. You can almost imagine where a dresser had been and then the house burned away, or the rubble was pushed off a hillside.
I am camping around Cripple Creek around the end of July, and was just trying to figure out where to go. Would also like to try and pan a little too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread