Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Cool bottle, and I would assume for perfume or cologne,

The only glass maker with the name ‘Mutual’ that seems to come up in reference sources is the Mutual Glass Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (c.1869-c.1888), also known as Gallinger & Company. Said to be a rather obscure company that made tableware, oil lamps, chimneys, chandeliers, fruit jars, bottles and flasks.

OP
OP
A
Apr 7, 2024
Welcome to Tnet.

Cool bottle, and I would assume for perfume or cologne,

The only glass maker with the name ‘Mutual’ that seems to come up in reference sources is the Mutual Glass Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (c.1869-c.1888), also known as Gallinger & Company. Said to be a rather obscure company that made tableware, oil lamps, chimneys, chandeliers, fruit jars, bottles and flasks.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I was thinking perfume as well but couldn't find anything helpful when searching the brand name. Seems to be older than I expected

OP
OP
A
Apr 7, 2024
Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I was thinking perfume as well but couldn't find anything helpful when searching the brand name. Seems to be older than I expected
The bottle has a threaded top, wouldn’t that make it from a later period than your research suggests?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle has a threaded top, wouldn’t that make it from a later period than your research suggests?

As far as I know, the first patent for a screw-neck glass container with a metal cap was for Mason jars in 1858 and rather later for liquor bottles in 1889. But in the intervening years there were a number of patents beginning in the 1870s for containers of other types with screw caps, including for perfume bottles. They became particularly popular for small bottles containing fragrances that could be hung round the neck, with the cap on a chain, such that ladies would have it readily to hand for freshening up or impregnating a handkerchief to use as a nosegay. Yours is obviously too large for that particular use though.

Note that I didn’t conclusively identify your bottle as from the Mutual Glass company operating between 1869-c.1888… but it seems to be the only glass company with that name listed in reference sources. I know of no perfume-related companies called ‘Mutual’ or using it as a brand, and it would seem an oddly uncharismatic name for that kind of product.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool looking bottle.
Is there a side seam.
Could we get a photo of it please.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The screw-neck bottle ringed in the picture below also has a 'Mutual' mark on the base. Found in a dump in British Columbia in an area that had been settled and logged sometime around the 1870s but with bottles dating all the way through to the 1940s. No-one was able to offer an identification to the finder.

Mutual.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The screw-neck bottle ringed in the picture below also has a 'Mutual' mark on the base. Found in a dump in British Columbia in an area that had been settled and logged sometime around the 1870s but with bottles dating all the way through to the 1940s. No-one was able to offer an identification to the finder.

View attachment 2142561
Screw tops were mostly post 1900.
Though the first screw cap was 1830s.
The the ones in the picture are 1930-1940s

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy all types of treasure hunting ;Metal detecting bottle digging hunting native north American artifacts shed deer antlers It is all fun for me But finding s couple of nice old bottles is a real fun day Because there is some history in them as fat as who when and where they where made For me they are a road map through time And there are so many different type and variations that you have a good chance to find something you do not have . Plus because they where often dumped in a close location to others I guess this makes me seem a little greedy but if you hit the right spot it is possible to find the mother load when bottle digging \\ You have found a few nice old ones to get started With some more effort perhaps you will find the center of where the dump ha its start

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread