DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys and Gals. I have been Beach Hunting the past five years and now I have relocated to the Nashville, TN., area. I have had to rethink my hunting style and of course equipment. I have relic hunted for many years and have a large collection of Civil War relics and some 1812 and Revolutionary War Stuff but Cache hunting has always interested me. I have just never taken the time to get after it. I will be retiring in about 3 years and will have plenty of spare time to do research, etc., and to save up for specialized equipment of which I am already pretty familiar.

I have just started reading these postings on the Cache forum and noticed that I see few if any posts where anybody on here is saying that they are finding anything. There is lots of talk of legends of lost treasure, some talk of locations where the author is sure something is but inevitably can't get to the location for some reason or other, etc., etc.

My question is, "Do you folks ever find anything?" I would love to get into this style of hunting but if the lack of postings of results here is any indication of the frequency of finds, I probably need to rethink my time better spent relic hunting. Mind you, I am a patient man. I grew up in a home with 5 sisters and 1 bathroom. You don't know patience until you experience living in those conditions when the girls made it into the ages of wearing makeup. I might have gotten into the bathroom once every blue moon.

That all being said, I would like to know if some of you guys are finding anything.

Thanks,
DaChief!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey Da Chief:

Are you military? First off any full time cache hunters are guarding their
secrets and few know what they are doing, mainly family and long-time buds.
Why devote all your time to CH? Mix it up. Keep your ears open for clues
and develop trust with landowners. If they gather at a coffee shop or cafe
spend some time letting them get to know you. They won't open up until you
are sized up as a good ole boy.
Get to know the local history, read first hand historical biographies and get
topo maps to bone up on small communities in a hundred mile radius. Some
of the hill people do not abide strangers so keep off private rural property until
you can get an OK.
Most important don't waste time with wide-spread treasure yarns. Exanimo

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
treasure hunters are a secretive lot,and I totaly understand.If I found a crock of gold coins,I would
probably post three of them and take the congrats for those three.too many greedy people or entities
out there.I rather have fortune than fame anyday.

here is a personal story of greed:I had a great uncle pass away and he was the miser type.two
relatives (one was designated trustee,no will) kept others away from house.I offered my services
but was declined.later on they were flashing money around and driving new cars.later on the person
they sold the house too had his lawyer give them a call.doing renovations he found coffe cans in the ceiling with stocks he could not cash (over $100,000.00 worth).now if they just let me search the
place,I am ultra positive those cans had cash in them too.how much?well it's not in there hands now
to flash around.also later on I was talkiing with them about possible hiding places and they were agasp
on how they did not check them.

oh well!! as the wizard said "keep it secret,keep it safe"............ :wink: :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the early responses. Retired Military. I am an old paratrooper. Currently a Police Chief. Thus DaChief since every other form of Chief was taken. I have been Treasure Hunting since 1986 and have asked permission thousands of times and only been turned down once. The POLICE baseball cap helps. Didn't start wearing it for that purpose. Seemed to always wear it back when I started hunting but it did open many doors for me. I am old backwoods Alabama redneck, hayseed, hillbilly so I can relate to the mountain and hill people. I come from that stock and love my ancestry. Good down home godly people. I understand them and although I have moved up in the social strata, I have never forgotten from where I came. I have been away from it for 40 years but could still saddle up a horse, rope a steer, plant some crops, cut pulpwood and do most anything else a good ole country boy could do. Was taught carpentry by my grandfather who built three of the houses he lived in over the years two of which are still standing and he was not a contractor. Used nothing but hand tools back then to learn. I am talkin bout the unpowered versions. Brace and Bit, Handsaw, Hand Plane, Draw Knife, etc. Still have an old plane we used back then.

I know all about the research and have read a good bit about Cache Hunting. I have two old farm houses in my sights right now that I am going to hit soon. I happened up on one Cache of walking liberty halves back in the 80's completely by luck. They were in an old park of all places in a blue mason jar. The jar was dated 1839 and had the old solid round lid with the ceramic/glass inner portion to the lid. The coins were 1930s and 40s and the jar predated them by a ton. Could only figure an old sole decided to bury his jar in the park for some reason. I was using a Whites machine at the time and it registered 50 cents. It was actually picking up the jar lid as the lid was close to the surface. When I first dug down to it, I though I just had a lid till I saw the glass jar attached. Then when the dirt let go of the jar, the silver inside was shining and I had my one and only cache simply by accident.

I will let you guys know how I do in the future and I hope to be posting positive news here soon.

Take Care,

DaChief

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you're a cop, there's an edge.

How about old police files? I'm talking old, back when folks didn't use banks. Seems like you got those two areas going pretty good.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Da Chief:

All those tips I gave you? I'd like them back to give to someone who needs
them.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
hello dachief, nother redneck here, mobile ala. welcome to cache huntin. so far you have good information so just remember to keep it to yourself when the time comes that you want the whole world to celebrate with you. keep your eye on those at the back of the crowd gritting their teeth and shaking their fist at you because you found something. >:( heed good advice from those that will help..enjoy the hunting and go over to 'treasure signs and marks' on this forum. when you start finding treasure signs on trees and rocks is when the fun really starts with losing sleep trying to figure it all out. all these fellas and girls on here will help you tremendously. i know they have me. === tenclaw===

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thom:

You proved that caches like yours exist today and can be found with the
detectors we already have. No need to buy machines we can't afford. Congrats.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really do not want to tell people what you found unless you got the owner permisssion and share with them. Yes, many people do not believe in banks, and during wars, people bury money. Good Luck to all of you. Does anybody have true unpublish stories about Connecticut Bury Treasures?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been out for years, but, I am going to try when the snow is gone.

S

sailrunner

I have found a few things, but nothing of great value yet... :-X

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for friends to search parks and beaches in and around Bridgeport, CT. Have detector, no car. I am retired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread